Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bell sleeves

[ Edited ]

@islandgrrl wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

I would reserve a flowy bell sleeve top for going out for an evening.  I must be the only one with an aversion to public restrooms no matter how upscale. I am a bit of a camel and will do whatever it takes (mind over matter) to hold it until I get home.  

I know, just another little magicmoodz ideosyncrasy.  😊

@magicmoodz

Smiling at you -- my mother-in-law is a fellow camel!!  I marvel at her ability.  Me: I keep Purell sanitizing wipes in my purse at all times.  I drink A LOT of water and can't perform camel magic! 

@islandgrrl

A woman after my own heart--your dear Mother-in-law.  I have actually been criticized on this board for my bathroom practices so I won't go into detail.  I just do believe that we can condition ourselves.  

And in reverse too!  My husband can be at home all day and not use the bathroom.  But if we are out shopping, a movie, happy hour, dinner, whatever, he is going to have to find the restroom.  Drives me crazy!

Honored Contributor

I prefer my sleeves to be fitted, especially when I'm putting on another layer.  

Honored Contributor

@SharkE,  Glad you gave this some thought.  I find this bell sleeve to be another trend that is in today and out tomorrow.  However, what you mentioned about eating and using the bathroom makes a lot of sense.  LOL  I can picture it now.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I remember in sewing class when I was a senior in high school (1972) I made a really cute dress. It was yellow material with bell sleeves. At the end of the sleeves and along the hem I attached white daisy appliques. So stylish for that time. I got an A on that assignment. I love bell sleeves and am so glad they are back in style! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2

I was a senior in 1968 and made a similar outfit, but mine had pants, too.

The top had bell sleeves AND I added bell-bottom pants to match.  In an orange and flower print.  Yikes!

Cannot remember my grade, but the teacher complimented me for it's originality.

It was well-sewn, and of the time.  Now?  Probably not something I would wear!Cat LOL

Valued Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

This dress has it all! Bell sleeves, cold shoulder possibility, hi/low hem, ruffles--just add a pair of bell-bottoms and you're good to go! (Forget that it looks like a bed sheet!)

The sleeves are the least of the problems with that.....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I personally do not care for bell sleeves. I don't do trends on the whole as I don't desire to look like everyone else. Just not my thing. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Guess the high/low hem and the shark bite are getting old, so, now, they have come up with bell sleeves.

I pass. How can you eat when you got this big ol' flared cuff dragging thru your soup. Have to be aware of what your doing when your trying to eat always have to manage it.  About like a charm bracelet I'd imagine.

Bathroom problem, too. LOL Have to be pushing up on the sleeve all the time.

I love the high low style.  I love wearing them.  However I do like the look of Bell sleeves but not for me.  They had bell sleeves in the 70's I remember wearing a dress that had them.  Now I find them annoying, have you ever tried to cook wearing one LOL. 

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@ID2

I was a senior in 1968 and made a similar outfit, but mine had pants, too.

The top had bell sleeves AND I added bell-bottom pants to match.  In an orange and flower print.  Yikes!

Cannot remember my grade, but the teacher complimented me for it's originality.

It was well-sewn, and of the time.  Now?  Probably not something I would wear!Cat LOL

Oh I remember sewing class and cooking class.  I am not sure they do that in school now.  I really enjoyed those classes.  I remember making a lot of my clothes.  I remember getting a singer sewing machine for Christmas because I enjoyed it so much.  Our cooking class was amazing.  You could smell whatever we were cooking all through the school.