Valued Contributor

That's too bad.  I've seen some of our local stores fall down on customer service also, even Kohls and Macy's.  I order most of my clothes online these days.

Honored Contributor

@febe1 @Icegoddess 

Ladies, I had worked at Belk when I left Dillards with a sciatic nerve issue from all of the clothes.  

I left Belk because of a terrible woman they put with me in fine jewelry.  

The Belk brothers sold the store to a company mainly interested in online sales., so the nicer items are on line.

Everyone I saw in my store later said "I should be glad I left".  One entire side of my store is old clearance trucked in from other stores.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@febe1 @Icegoddess 

Ladies, I had worked at Belk when I left Dillards with a sciatic nerve issue from all of the clothes.  

The Belk brothers sold the store to a company mainly interested in online sales., so the nicer items are on line.

Everyone I saw in my store later said "I should be glad I left".  One entire side of my store is old clearance trucked in from other stores.

@ECBG I grew up in a small MS town that had a Belk.  When I moved to where I live now that had malls, there was Dillards and there was Parisian although I think Dillards might actually have been something else when I moved here.  I used to browse them both all the time, but I usually bought at Dillards.  Then, Belk bought Parisian.  Over time I started shopping more at Belk because they had better prices/more sales.  The Dillards closest to my home became a Dillards outlet for several years and then closed.  We still have a Dillards in a Mall that also has another Belk store that is farther away, but I rarely shop there.  About the only time I make it to that area is when I go to the hairdresser. 

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of Belk.  Will have to check them online.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@febe1 @Icegoddess 

@ECBG I grew up in a small MS town that had a Belk.  When I moved to where I live now that had malls, there was Dillards and there was Parisian although I think Dillards might actually have been something else when I moved here.  I used to browse them both all the time, but I usually bought at Dillards.  Then, Belk bought Parisian.  Over time I started shopping more at Belk because they had better prices/more sales.  The Dillards closest to my home became a Dillards outlet for several years and then closed.  We still have a Dillards in a Mall that also has another Belk store that is farther away, but I rarely shop there.  About the only time I make it to that area is when I go to the hairdresser. 

@Icegoddess 

The negative of Dillards is they will let a clearance item sit on the floor untill well after the next season has been displayed.  Their 30%-40% off of clearance at the end of the month is quite good, but do you want it so far removed from the season?

I shop the Dillards Clearance center, but I know the brands and exactly what to look at.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@febe1 @Icegoddess 

@Icegoddess 

The negative of Dillards is they will let a clearance item sit on the floor untill well after the next season has been displayed.  Their 30%-40% off of clearance at the end of the month is quite good, but do you want it so far removed from the season?

I shop the Dillards Clearance center, but I know the brands and exactly what to look at.

@ECBG In my book Clearance starts at 50% off. Anything above that is just a sale.  That was my problem with Dillards.  They just wouldn't have sales.  Even the week between Christmas and New Years when everybody has a sale, no sale.  I did find out one year when I went in on JAN 1 to pay a bill that they had a good one-day sale on.

Respected Contributor

I grew up shopping at Belk.  I haven't shopped at a mall in a long time but always check out a Belk if there is one.  I always checked out the designer section of a Belk in the early 1980's as they would have some wonderful clothes that you didn't see everywhere.  I could always find my Ralf Lauren basics at Belk.  While I only work part time now, I still enjoy the discussions about fashion and shopping.  It is nice to know where to go when I do need something new.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Valued Contributor

I just receive the Completer cardigan from Belk and it is yummy in texture, softness and color.  I'm so glad I found this for $7.  Now I am waiting for my 2 Crown & Ivy cotton shaker pullover sweaters to arrive. 

Valued Contributor

Boomernic, When I was little we had a Belk in our small town on the main street.  We went there often as mom liked it a lot.  She liked to sew for us and Belk had a nice fabric department.  There was a wide staircase in the middle of the store that went up to a balcony 2nd floor where the fabric department was. I used to look over the railing and watch shoppers down below and look for any young classmates that might be shopping with their moms. 

Valued Contributor

I don't know if I posted this before, I can't find it if I did I may have just texted girlfriends.  Belk's has some nice cotton gauze tops. They are pretty and boho looking  I loved gauze as a young working woman for summer.  I think I paid 3 for $44. It's a shame they price them like that but I am happy with the ones I got.  One is tie dyed white with orange, and the other two are vertical stripes.  They came out great after washing in delicate wash bag and I dried them for about 10 min.  Free ship at $49.  I add cheap Belk Beauty cosmetics (nice 4 gifts later) to get free shipping.