Esteemed Contributor

Re: Being overcharged at the grocery store???

99% of the time the over charge on items at a store are not done on purpose. As someone else noted, the prices come down electronically into the store's front end systems (check stand computers) ... but a human body has to go out and actually hang a price sign.

Sometimes it's an error by the mfg who has more than one upc for the same item code, but the retailer only has one upc listed in their system.

There are a few companies who are investing in electronic price tags for their stores pricing. Which means the price on the shelf would come from the front end system automatically. Which would save tons of employee hours and hassle...but the tags themselves are expensive right now. This would only work for say items w/ shelf tags...not clothing, etc.

BUT...I could still see an issue if the ad price printed on line or in a paper ad didn't get inputted into the system...could still have wrong price at check out.

To me...the way the store allows or doesn't allow the cashier to handle these price issues says EVERYTHING about whether they get my repeat business. I know mistakes happen ... it's not the mistake that get's my goat ... it's whether they make me feel like a 'cheater' or 'thief' if I point out a pricing error.

And I've given back money many times when they've handed be too much. It seems very few people know how to 'count back' change...they just throw a stack into your hand. (pet peeve of mine).

Also had a bank teller once give be back $500 in 100 dollar bills. I had asked for 5 ten dollar bills. Thank goodness for her and me that I opened the envelope. And you know she was snotty about it too. I sent the envelope back and said you might want to check this amount ... she gave me the stink eye and said 'what, what'. Then she opened the envelope, looked at what her slip told her she was supposed to send. She never even thanked me.

I moved my banking business and my company's banking business to another bank. Service that bad should not be rewarded.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I can't pay as close attention to the register as I'd like- you're putting items on the belt and/or packing the bags. But my favorite store has a bench near the customer service desk right by the entrance. I always sit for a few minutes and review the receipt before I leave the store!

Regular Contributor

Happens to me at least on two items at week with Shop Rite.
Honored Contributor

I ALWAYS step over about 5 to 10 feet from the checkout line and review my receipt while in the cashier's eyesight ..... fortunately, I'm pretty good at remembering how much each item was, and it only takes a minute.

Nothing is more annoying to discover the error when you get home, and then you have to go back.

BTW, I get my prescriptions filled at Walmart .... and in the last 18 months they have made FIVE errors .... ALL in my favor!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Think the pharmacist has a crush on me? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

At Publix, if an item rings up different than the price on the item or on the shelf. It is FREE. They make a real effort to be accurate on pricing.

Honored Contributor

Why is this on the Fashion Forum?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

A worker at Target told me it's now ""the customer is right"" as opposed to their old motto ""we are completely inflexible"". That security breach in 2013 was a huge blow. You shouldn't be given a hard time there. They are closing all their Canadian stores. I can't stand bad service.
Honored Contributor

Usually I catch it at the store. If not, I save the receipt and bring it next time I go there. Yesterday I picked up 2 packages of cheese sticks. I swore the sign said 2 @ 5.00. Sometimes they are that low. When I checked out, the total was more than I thought. I asked if the cheese rang up at 2.50 each and was told yes. When I read the receipt, I was charged $5.99 each. I went to c/s and returned them.
Respected Contributor

I just looked at it, and my grocery bill from yesterday has over 50 items on it. Check the prices??

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 kate2357 said:

There are a few companies who are investing in electronic price tags for their stores pricing. Which means the price on the shelf would come from the front end system automatically. Which would save tons of employee hours and hassle...but the tags themselves are expensive right now. This would only work for say items w/ shelf tags...not clothing, etc.

Kohl's has electronic shelf tags. I think it's a great idea, but perhaps not cost effective yet for supermarkets, which stock 50,000 to 70,000 different items. Not only is there the upfront cost to install the system, but the shelf tags themselves must be replaced every five years or so, as I understand it.