Honored Contributor

Re: Being overcharged at the grocery store???

On 1/18/2015 m2p said: Wouldn't it be nice if the stores just lowered the prices all around. No more weekly ""specials"" that just get us into the store. Imagine how much easier it would be for the employees and consumer.
It would be nicer if they just let us pay whatever we wanted to pay......lol
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 chrystaltree said: Check the items AS, they are being rung up. Some of us have things to do, we don't spend time dawdling at the cash register.

That's what I do. And I've caught errors that way, which were adjusted right on the spot. Sometimes I get distracted and might miss an item or two, but it doesn't matter that much because after I check out, I always pull my cart to the side and go over the receipt item by item to be sure everything is correct.

I never, ever leave a store without looking at the receipt. I rarely find mistakes, but I do it all the time anyway. It's been my habit for as long as I can remember.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday at Trader Joe's I got distracted talking to the cashier and the bagger about the wine I was purchasing. When she told me my total it seemed a bit high, so before I left the store I checked my receipt, and I had been charged for 5 bottles of wine instead of 4 that I had in my cart. So to make it easy, I got another bottle of wine instead of getting an adjustment. I found it funny because I had been reading and had already posted to this thread and told myself I would make a point of watching more carefully in the future--OOPS, failed on my first attempt!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 Caligurll said:

Yesterday at Trader Joe's I got distracted talking to the cashier and the bagger about the wine I was purchasing. When she told me my total it seemed a bit high, so before I left the store I checked my receipt, and I had been charged for 5 bottles of wine instead of 4 that I had in my cart. So to make it easy, I got another bottle of wine instead of getting an adjustment. I found it funny because I had been reading and had already posted to this thread and told myself I would make a point of watching more carefully in the future--OOPS, failed on my first attempt!

Probably just the little nudge you needed! Smile

I'm betting you'll remember next time!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2015 NYC Susan said:

Yes! Actually the second nudge in 2 weeks. I went to Target last week to pick up a couple things. I left the store happily swinging the bag with my purchased items, when I realized something didn't feel right. I had my keys in my hand but I didn't have my purse! I turned and ran full speed back in the store. I had left my cart in the cart area, and fortunately my purse was still there. I realized I had forgotten one of my safety rules--never put my purse in the cart, always be in direct contact with it at all times. It took a while for my heart rate to return to normal. What a disaster that would have been if someone had taken it. In addition to the usual wallet contents I also had my new iPhone, my Kindle, and iPod in it.

But lesson learned, and no harm done, fortunately.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2015 Caligurll said:

Yes! Actually the second nudge in 2 weeks. I went to Target last week to pick up a couple things. I left the store happily swinging my bag when I realized something didn't feel right. I had my keys in my hand but I didn't have my purse! I turned and ran full speed back in the store. I had left my cart in the cart area, and fortunately my purse was still there. I realized I had forgotten one of my safety rules--never put my purse in the cart, always be in direct contact with it at all times. It took a while for my heart rate to return to normal. What a disaster that would have been if someone had taken it. In addition to the usual wallet contents I also had my new iPhone, my Kindle, and iPod in it.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet! I know that feeling - that horrible, sinking feeling - and it isn't fun!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2015 Caligurll said:

Yes! Actually the second nudge in 2 weeks. I went to Target last week to pick up a couple things. I left the store happily swinging my bag when I realized something didn't feel right. I had my keys in my hand but I didn't have my purse! I turned and ran full speed back in the store. I had left my cart in the cart area, and fortunately my purse was still there. I realized I had forgotten one of my safety rules--never put my purse in the cart, always be in direct contact with it at all times. It took a while for my heart rate to return to normal. What a disaster that would have been if someone had taken it. In addition to the usual wallet contents I also had my new iPhone, my Kindle, and iPod in it.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet! I know that feeling - that horrible, sinking feeling - and it isn't fun!

Yes, exactly. It was a huge wake up call to be more aware of what's going on in that moment and not to daydream when I'm out and about.