Super Contributor

Re: Being overcharged at the grocery store???

On 1/16/2015 Ptaz said:

Kroger drives me crazy with how they do their pricing. The discounts don't show up until near the end of the transaction. I've sat and watched the digital readout of the items and it's always ""i'll come off when we total it up"". Makes it hard to catch problems and I've been caught a many a time with a dispute on a charge that makes the line behind me grow longer. Wish they were a little more clear with it.

Yes IMO Kroger often makes it difficult to see the screen and the pricing and Target has screens that are difficult to see...........
Respected Contributor

I try to watch the prices as they ring up but I'm not always successful. I check my receipt before leaving the store and get any adjustments needed at the customer service desk. That's how shopping is so I don't get too worked up over it. I usually have to do this once or twice a month. It's supermarkets for the most part.

Honored Contributor

The two stores I shop at have computer screens facing the customer so they can see each item as it's rung up. It makes it very easy to be sure the right price is charged.

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 CalmInTheHeart said:

The two stores I shop at have computer screens facing the customer so they can see each item as it's rung up. It makes it very easy to be sure the right price is charged.

I like to use the self-checkout. As I scan each item, it's easy to check the price. If something is other than expected, I stop by Customer Service after checking-out.

Super Contributor

I always do.... Husband is a work in progress.....
Honored Contributor

I pay close attention while standing at the register. Rarely is there a mistake "to my advantage" it always seems to be to the store's advantage, but if they make an error (even to my advantage) I will speak up. I don't want to be overcharged and I don't want their stuff for free either. Neither is right.

I think it's mostly just mistakes but frankly I'm sick of it. I had to actually "direct" one cashier because I bought a whole box of Kind Bar (12) that were already on sale, plus I had a coupon for $1.00 off three of them. He couldn't figure out how to do this!! There's only just so much the machines can do for them... they really have to have some kind of mathmatics as a background.

So watching this, and other things like cashiers not being able to make change when you hand them a bill and oddments so you'll get back an even amount has really disappointed me in the marketplace.... and why I pay such close attention.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 ValuSkr said:
On 1/16/2015 kate2357 said:

There are a few companies who are investing in electronic price tags for their stores pricing. Which means the price on the shelf would come from the front end system automatically. Which would save tons of employee hours and hassle...but the tags themselves are expensive right now. This would only work for say items w/ shelf tags...not clothing, etc.

Kohl's has electronic shelf tags. I think it's a great idea, but perhaps not cost effective yet for supermarkets, which stock 50,000 to 70,000 different items. Not only is there the upfront cost to install the system, but the shelf tags themselves must be replaced every five years or so, as I understand it.

Omg... those electronic shelf tags make me crazy because I'm a little taller and the light doesn't hit the screen right for me so I can't see the pricing without gyrations. I have to bend and then fiddle with the screen .... shopped there this Christmas and go so frustrated with the things.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand how you can possibly keep,track of what the price is on 20-30" different items that you purchase at the grocery store on a weekly vist.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/16/2015 KathyPet said: I don't understand how you can possibly keep,track of what the price is on 20-30" different items that you purchase at the grocery store on a weekly vist.

I think it's more apparent when the item is a 'deal' item..we tend to remember those prices.

But I have to say...since my DH and I usually go to the store w/ a list of items and tend to buy the same stuff over and over...it's not all that hard to remember the pricing. But we don't do big shopping all that frequently....maybe 30 items max.

And as I said...I pay more attention to deal pricing because that's when I tend to stock up the pantry.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Super Contributor

On 1/16/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/16/2015 2blonde said:

Yes! Speaking of Target, you just reminded me of a fairly recent trip where the cashier actually rang up the same $16 item twice! Obvioulsy I couldn't miss an error like that, but when I brought it to her attention, she tried to deny it! The lady behind me in line actually came to my defense. After the cashier finally refunded my money to me, the other lady said, "I can't believe she didn't even say she was sorry!"

I like Target and would have been really, really ticked. These stores always seem to have employee praise forms to complete, but what do you do without difficulty if you really want to bring something like this to management's attention without taking up half your day? There's no excuse for such behavior and besides, she was attempting to rip you off. If successful and if you had paid cash, it would have been easy for her to dip into the till.

If it were me, I would have gone in search of her supervisor immediately. There are too many people out there these days with a misdemeanor/felony mindset.

How could the cashier dip into the till? If she scanned an item twice, the higher total would've been in the system. There would be no extra cash to steal.

The stealing occurs when they DON'T ring up something you pay for. My parents once paid their check at a restaurant, and the server crumbled up the check and pocketed the money as she was walking away from their table.