Valued Contributor

Being overcharged at the grocery store???

Once again I went to the grocery store and was overcharged on two items. It is never a ton of money, but I was charged $1.99 instead of the $.99 price on the shelf on one item and $1.39 instead of the $.99 on another. I usually check my receipt before I leave the store, but from now on I have got to remember to check it while still at the checkstand. Otherwise, alot of times you have to go to the service desk or whatever to have the adjustment made and get the money owed to you.

So girls, when you go to the grocery store, CHECK your receipt and the prices before you leave the check out. Do any of you have this happen to you? I guess it probably adds up to a ton of money for the stores when it is all totalled.

Just a word to the wise.

{#emotions_dlg.bored}

Trusted Contributor

Re: Being overcharged at the grocery store???

it is best to keep an eye on the digital readout as your items are scanned at checkout and to catch errors as they occur. Unfortunately, I often find myself unloading my own groceries from my cart to the counter and therefore unable to stay focused on the register. If this is the case, I try to check my receipt before leaving the store. Errors aren't uncommon.

Respected Contributor

DH used to drive me crazy: every time we were leaving the store ( grocery and all others ), he'd be going over the sales receipt. More often than not, we were overcharged and had to go back to customer service to get the credit. Some stores had a policy where you'do get the item free, but he wasn't interested in getting it free-- just correct. Finally, I got to the point where when I approached the cash register, I knew roughly what the amount charged should be. Not too difficult even though I majored in foreign languages. Saves a lot of time and I can usually point out where the error was made to get it corrected more quickly!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Regular Contributor

Kroger drives me crazy with how they do their pricing. The discounts don't show up until near the end of the transaction. I've sat and watched the digital readout of the items and it's always ""i'll come off when we total it up"". Makes it hard to catch problems and I've been caught a many a time with a dispute on a charge that makes the line behind me grow longer. Wish they were a little more clear with it.

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2015 Ptaz said:

Kroger drives me crazy with how they do their pricing. The discounts don't show up until near the end of the transaction. I've sat and watched the digital readout of the items and it's always "i'll come off when we total it up". Makes it hard to catch problems and I've been caught a many a time with a dispute on a charge that makes the line behind me grow longer. Wish they were a little more clear with it.

Kroger is where I get screwed too, regularly. So much so that I wondered if was deliberate! Unfortunately they have the best produce in town. And unfortunately again I tend to shop just a few times a month and then buy a ton each visit, so checking is a pain. It's so annoying.

Respected Contributor

I'm thinking mistakes like that are caused by wrong data input into the stores computerized systems. Are there any times where you were undercharged?

Respected Contributor

Our Dominick's (which has now closed) used to over charge all the time. They would give you the item for free if you caught it. I'd find multiple mistakes and they were snarky about refunding. They changed their policy to just giving you the $ difference. Now they went under. Go figure. They were notorious for posting in the local paper people they had arrested for stealing, but they stole daily from their customers.
Super Contributor

On 1/16/2015 StylishLady said:

I'm thinking mistakes like that are caused by wrong data input into the stores computerized systems. Are there any times where you were undercharged?

Good question! Bills never come in under what I expected, so I guess I never thought to check but I will in future out of curiosity.

I haven't noticed being undercharged when I look through receipts, and i think I might have if the change was dramatic- but to be honest I wasn't looking with that question in mind.

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2015 scatcat said: Our Dominick's (which has now closed) used to over charge all the time. They would give you the item for free if you caught it. I'd find multiple mistakes and they were snarky about refunding. They changed their policy to just giving you the $ difference. Now they went under. Go figure. They were notorious for posting in the local paper people they had arrested for stealing, but they stole daily from their customers.

they do sound awful.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 StylishLady said:

Are there any times where you were undercharged?

TOUCHÉ. Thank you for pointing this out.

People are always so quick to see one side only...doesn't make the inaccuracies legit, but do you think they would spend time @ the service desk to PAY more $$? Probably not. And it turns into an ethical issue if you walk out knowing you owe more, not choose not to pay...but that's whole 'nuther thread for a whole 'nuther day!