Respected Contributor

Re: Beautiful robe or gown/robe set?

Do brides even want pengoir sets anymore?  I dont think so, and not from her MIL im sure.

Respected Contributor

Personally I stayed away from any personal items for my DIL.  I purchased the more expensive items from her registry (entertainment pieces) that I knew she would use during special times in their lives.  I wish I had them engraved but thought about it too late.

Esteemed Contributor

@DebbieDD I don't thinks this is a good MIL gift for a bridal shower, for reasons others have stated.  Will the groom want to see his bride in the night gown his mother bought the bride?  Maybe give her something for her instead, like a gift card for a spa.  If not, maybe a basket of her favorite personal pampering products.  Something she can use in her honeymoon?  I am sure she picked the things for her registry that she wants, so buying items others won't I am sure will be appreciated.  In my experience, gifts are opened at the event, so be sensitive that everyone will see what you give.

Respected Contributor

I always select a gift from the Bridal Registry to give at a wedding shower. My son is single but I think I would give something he and his Bride could both use. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think such a gift is not appropriate for a MIL.  It is not your place.

For me, I would want to pick my own out.

Respected Contributor

Personally, I would feel extremely uncomfortable being the recipient of a gift of lingerie. That's something I want to select for myself. 

I would select something from their registry. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

@Lipstickdiva thank you! I don’t really buy much of anything from QVC anymore but these boards immediately came to mind when I thought about this “dilemma” and how helpful the ladies can be. My other DIL did not want a shower and so I never had to deal with this.... I am great! Hope you and yours are all safe and healthy!💕

Thank you ladies for taking the time to reply!
New Contributor

I will be celebrating my 30th wedding anniversary this year. And at my bridal shower my mother law gave me a beautiful bridal lingerie set. Everyone at the shower talked about how elegant it was. It was appropriate and my husband did not feel uncomfortable or give a hoot that his mother gave it to me. I enjoyed wearing it snd he enjoyed it too. I think it depends on the style of the lingerie and the personality of the receiver that needs to be concerned. I feel my mother law thought I would like to receive such a beautiful gift from her and I did.