Honored Contributor

Re: Beanies - The Now Fashion Statement

@ECBG wrote:

@violann wrote:

Oy- an 85 year old "fashion statement"? Now where'd I put my plaid wool skirts and Bobby Sox?

By the by, a "beanie" USED to be a round flat felt hat with a little "tab" of felt in the middle that stuck up, not a pompon. 

@violann,Didn't some colleges have "freshman beanies?".  I seem to have seen that somewhere.  Thanks.

@ECBG

john boy walton had one on his first day of college.....

http://waltons.steve-p.org/pix/31A_02015600.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@violann wrote:

Oy- an 85 year old "fashion statement"? Now where'd I put my plaid wool skirts and Bobby Sox?

By the by, a "beanie" USED to be a round flat felt hat with a little "tab" of felt in the middle that stuck up, not a pompon. 

@violann,Didn't some colleges have "freshman beanies?".  I seem to have seen that somewhere.  Thanks.

YES!!! I actually wound up with TWO beanies from college freshman classes (one bad experience, one good). They were both the flat to the head style.

Respected Contributor

Beanies were part of our Catholic school uniform. We had to wear them to Mass every day.

Not a look I'll be returning to.

Honored Contributor

The ones without the pom have been popular for a long time now. Personally, I'm not into the pom variety. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Just bought one at Gander Mountain that is meant to be worn in the frozen Midwest, where I reside. I don't do fashion pieces. I paid $8.99 & it is amazing. Don't want pom-poms sticking up--just insulation to keep my head warm.

Honored Contributor

I love some of the Pom Pom hats.  Free People has a few darling ones!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

These are retro-looking to me, especially the ones with a pompom on top. I had one like that in elementary school, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I always think the little hats we wore as "Brownies"  were beanies.  Every part of the country has different words for things.

Yes, you got it!   I was a Brownie too and that's what I think of when I hear "beanie".  And also Pee Wee Herman...lol   Did he even wear a Beanie...lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@violann wrote:

@ECBG

john boy walton had one on his first day of college.....

http://waltons.steve-p.org/pix/31A_02015600.jpg

@sunshine45,That's it!  It looks like a Brownie's hat!  

Respected Contributor

There is nothing new about them. They aren't called beanies here or where I grew up. But they are classic winter wear. I have several of those in wool and in cashmere, but if it's cold enough to cover the head, where I live it's usually windy, too, so I usually choose a coat with a hood for such days.