Honored Contributor

Re: Beanies - The Now Fashion Statement

[ Edited ]

Oy- an 85 year old "fashion statement"? Now where'd I put my plaid wool skirts and Bobby Sox?

By the by, a "beanie" USED to be a round flat felt hat with a little "tab" of felt in the middle that stuck up, not a pompon. 

Honored Contributor

I call those a toque.They will be in fashion this winter due to the extreme cold I am sure.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I never realized how big they are right now but there are beanies with pom poms, without, cashmere, wool -- you name it and it's out there.  And, prices from $12 to over $300.  Yes, I could not believe that beanies are selling for over $250 and higher.  Another thing I was surprised to see that designers are using real fur.  Fox for pom poms and actually fox hats for over $450.  I love hats and beanies and always wear them.  When it's cold I especially want something to cover my ears.  Anyone else like beanies and hats? Cat Very Happy

I probably own 20 of them.  I love the cute beanies with pom poms.  I buy Free People ones, Betsey Johnson, Steve Madden , Spyder and Kate Spade ones--so fun.  They match most of my coats in some fashion or another.  Love them!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I hate those tube knit hats.  I am not a large person but most of those styles are way to small for me and they flatten my hair.  I have short hair and I honestly don't know how anyone with long hair can get them on and keep them in place.  I need a warm hat when it gets cold but so far, I have never been able to find one I like.

Esteemed Contributor

I always think the little hats we wore as "Brownies"  were beanies.  Every part of the country has different words for things.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Oy- an 85 year old "fashion statement"? Now where'd I put my plaid wool skirts and Bobby Sox?

By the by, a "beanie" USED to be a round flat felt hat with a little "tab" of felt in the middle that stuck up, not a pompon. 

@violann

I think that's a beret.  I associate a beanie with the propeller on top!

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@violann wrote:

@violann

I think that's a beret.  I associate a beanie with the propeller on top!

I find it fascinating that there appears to be a local aspect in hat naming. A beret is softer, usually pulled to one side.

A beanie sits firmly on the head. The propeller image is spot on. The little felt tab replaces it on some beanies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should get my crochet or Tunisian hook out, crochet one panel the length you want, and wide enough to go around your head, sew the seam and gather up the top, easy economical way to get one 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@violann,Didn't some colleges have "freshman beanies?".  I seem to have seen that somewhere.  Thanks.