Honored Contributor

Beanies - The Now Fashion Statement

I never realized how big they are right now but there are beanies with pom poms, without, cashmere, wool -- you name it and it's out there.  And, prices from $12 to over $300.  Yes, I could not believe that beanies are selling for over $250 and higher.  Another thing I was surprised to see that designers are using real fur.  Fox for pom poms and actually fox hats for over $450.  I love hats and beanies and always wear them.  When it's cold I especially want something to cover my ears.  Anyone else like beanies and hats? Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Beanies - The Now Fashion Statement

I've known them as "watch caps"...........and they've always been popular in cold climates

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

The now fashion statement?  I am unaware of it.  I don't like those close fitting knit hats as they flatten my hair. I prefer a beret.  A knit floppy beret is my favorite.  I also like the standard felt beret but most are a bit too small for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  Growing up in the south, it rarely gets cold enough in winter for more than the hood on your heaviest jacket. Never able to wear a hat...thinking the knitted ski type. With puffy curly hair, the disaster after removing it is worth just having cold ears!! So what's  beanies? Like Berets? Couldn't fit them on over the fluff either w/o ibobbi pins. It's been really cold the last few weeks & was in VA/DC picking up granddaughters & caught in ice storm...yep. Only my hood. Everyone else had ski hats, ear muffs, wool scarves around neck & heads. Fox for pom  poms? Interesting! 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus,  Prince Harry and his girlfriend wear knit beanies but ones that are either cashmere or a fine wool and they slouch down in the back.  They wear them in cool weather.  That's why I said they are very popular now.  As soon as a royal is wearing something, it is popular.  I personally have never seen so many different styles, textures and level of warmth.  So you could wear one that is very lightweight if you like them.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

They've been picking up popularity over the past couple years.  my niece and nephew are in high school and love their pompom hats.  Me not so much because it gives me hat hair.  That's not a good look on me.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia,  All you have to do is go to Yahoo and search for women's Beanies and you will be surprised at what you see.  I have never seen so many and I like to wear different hats & caps, etc.  I know hats ruin the hairdo but in my case when it's below zero, I could care less about my hairdo.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I like knit hats.  My preference is a slouchy beret or something with a brim.

And, wool berets.  I have a stack of them.

Honored Contributor

It's been below zero here for the past week.  If I am going to work, I pull up the hood on my jacket.  it's lined and warm.  If I'm out snow blowing or shoveling the driveway, I wear a hat, a scarf and my hood.  LOL.  

Honored Contributor

If you are talking about the hats I believe you are talking about, no one here calls them beanies.  They are Watch Caps or Stocking caps.  They aren't new or trendy, they are traditional hats that people wear in the winter in cold climates.  I'm not a hat person, I prefer to wrap a big scarf around my head and neck when the weather calls for it.  I have too much hair for Watch Caps or Stocking caps.