Super Contributor

On vacation last summer, there were two beach weddings at the resort where we stayed. The neatest thing was that no one wore shoes. It was so interesting and made so much sense. The girls/women wore ankle flowers (much like a luau). It was lovely.

No one wore fancy---all sundresses or casual slacks and short sleeved shirts for males. One wedding was no sitting; one was chairs. It was windy on the beach so no need to expect a perfect setting.

I enjoyed seeing them. They were fun and just right for the beach.

tea

Honored Contributor

Oh good Lord, why don't people just get married and stop all this 'destination' nonsense...?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/15/2014 stevieb said:

Oh good Lord, why don't people just get married and stop all this 'destination' nonsense...?

I don't like destination weddings either.

Super Contributor

I don't know if I would exactly call it nonsense, however I agree that I personally do not like destination weddings. Our daughter is having one (her second, his first) on a beach that is a 7 hour trip by car from where we live. Her grandmother is not physically able to attend and her aunt is not financially able to attend. Her BFFs have small children and both work and it will be difficult for them to be there and she's asked them to be in the wedding. I know I'm old fashion about a lot of things but it just seems rude and presumptuous to me to expect people to be able to spend this kind of money and time. We didn't want to rent a condo for a week as it was way too expensive so we are staying at a hotel away from the festivities. Since we paid for the first wedding, we are not contributing financially to this one except for the expense of going. They didn't ask our opinions at all about it. Neither her father or I look forward to it at all although I know it will be fine. I might add that they picked mid July--the busiest and hottest time of year. You might tell I don't have a good attitude about it and I'm sure I'll get "well just don't go" from someone. Believe me, we are discussing it except for our granddaughter we probably wouldn't.

Honored Contributor

They are getting married...just at the beach. Where you you suggest they get married?

Some people live by the beach...some don't belong to a religious institution, some don't care for getting married at city hall, etc. I understand if you don't like the beach. Not everyone does and the beach while beautiful can be uncomfortable for guests if the weather isn't perfect.

Honored Contributor
On 4/15/2014 luvvy said:

I don't like destination weddings either.

I just think they've become very trite...

Not to mention self-indulgent, and then there's the presumption of expecting guests and attendants to cover expenses...

Honored Contributor
On 4/15/2014 haddon9 said:

They are getting married...just at the beach. Where you you suggest they get married?

Some people live by the beach...some don't belong to a religious institution, some don't care for getting married at city hall, etc. I understand if you don't like the beach. Not everyone does and the beach while beautiful can be uncomfortable for guests if the weather isn't perfect.

I love the beach and if they live at the beach that's one thing, but this whole notion of expecting everybody involved to embark on a trip to some site deemed worthy, usually by the bride, and cover the associated expenses doesn't make sense to me. Each to their own, but there are local venues that don't involve a church or city hall and that also don't involve the supposition that a fifteen minute ceremony warrants significant travel for those inclined to attend.

Trusted Contributor
I think most who have destination weddings hope many won't come, it's actually a very inexpensive way to go. A man I work with with recently had a destination wedding for one of his daughters and hopes the other 2 get married the same way.
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/15/2014 Jerseygirl1266 said: I think most who have destination weddings hope many won't come, it's actually a very inexpensive way to go. A man I work with with recently had a destination wedding for one of his daughters and hopes the other 2 get married the same way.

You just summed it up nicely. The bride and groom are expecting gifts from those they know would never attend a destination wedding. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

I have a relative who had a destination wedding in Hawaii, but then returned home and had a reception at a country club.

Honored Contributor

We have just not gone to destination weddings. If they wanted people to come, they would have had the wedding where people live and the honeymoon at the destination. It is simple as that. We only get one vacation a year and that is for US.

Other than that beaches are wonderful and I love them--going back this July! BUT, it is a horrible place for a wedding. I was going to suggest if you must wear a skirt, wear a straight one. I don't know any beaches where the wind doesn't blow a lot. Or wear pants--better yet!