Respected Contributor

Re: Basso TSV, not flattering on anyone...looks balloonish.

@febe1 wrote:

I had ordered after midnight and then canceled when I looked carefully in the light of day. At 5'4", I can't do puffer. And the coat: JRT looked like 5X5 in it, and I bet she was in a XXS.

I believe Jane said she was wearing the XS, which seems reasonable due to the cut of the coat and the fact that I've often heard that DB coats run a bit large. Honestly, a coat of that type isn't exactly supposed to make anyone look skinny -- it is what it is -- and it all comes down to whether or not one likes the look and needs the warmth. I'll go so far as to say that I think many of Dennis's coats do have an elegant look to them.

Re the vest, I thought it was fairly flattering, again, as far as that type of vest goes. The "puffer" part wasn't very puffy, and the seaming and pattern of the quilting both helped to give it some shape. I guess our definitions of "boxy" vary. I have tried on puffer vests from Lands' End this season, and they seemed very boxy -- neither the quilting pattern nor the cut worked well for me (even though they have a gathered elastic back waist this year to give a bit of shaping). I thought the D&Co vest was far more flattering. On the other hand, I have a lightweight down jacket from LE from several years back (actually, I own it in two colors -- brown and black) that I LOVE -- the pattern of the quilting (it narrows through the midsection) makes it very flattering for a jacket of that type.

Esteemed Contributor

The model wearing the gray coat looked slim in it but she pulled it tighter with her hands in the pockets.  I though it was a bit bulky on some of them.  I liked the coat and almost bought one.

Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I had ordered after midnight and then canceled when I looked carefully in the light of day. At 5'4", I can't do puffer. And the coat: JRT looked like 5X5 in it, and I bet she was in a XXS.

I believe Jane said she was wearing the XS, which seems reasonable due to the cut of the coat and the fact that I've often heard that DB coats run a bit large. Honestly, a coat of that type isn't exactly supposed to make anyone look skinny -- it is what it is -- and it all comes down to whether or not one likes the look and needs the warmth. I'll go so far as to say that I think many of Dennis's coats do have an elegant look to them.

Re the vest, I thought it was fairly flattering, again, as far as that type of vest goes. The "puffer" part wasn't very puffy, and the seaming and pattern of the quilting both helped to give it some shape. I guess our definitions of "boxy" vary. I have tried on puffer vests from Lands' End this season, and they seemed very boxy -- neither the quilting pattern nor the cut worked well for me (even though they have a gathered elastic back waist this year to give a bit of shaping). I thought the D&Co vest was far more flattering. On the other hand, I have a lightweight down jacket from LE from several years back (actually, I own it in two colors -- brown and black) that I LOVE -- the pattern of the quilting (it narrows through the midsection) makes it very flattering for a jacket of that type.

I liked the vest when I first saw it, too. After thinking though, I knew I liked a more fitted vest for me. I like a vest close to the body for my figure. I would have worn it, but there are so many vests around, I thought I could find one I liked better. Glad you like what you have. 8)

Frequent Contributor

I don't think it's an attractive coat to begin with, let alone how it looks on everyone, which isn't flattering. 

Honored Contributor

@poodle7 wrote:

I ordered the midnight blue DB TSV and I love it!  I am a 2X and while I don't look like a size 10 in it, it didn't add any weight either. My husband thought it looked fabulous on me.  I am pretty critical of what I wear as I am a little self conscious about my weight, and I am not seeing where this is so huge looking.  

No worries poodle7: the vest fit everyone differently. I think it ultimately depends on the length of your torso. It clearly looked fine on some and awful on others. It isn't about the weight of the wearer but about the individual's proportion.

Valued Contributor

Anyone know how many of the "Puffer" coats by DB were sold.. TSV

Respected Contributor

Just an update: I received my black coat in 2X yesterday, and it's a stunner! No, it doesn't make me look slimmer...but it doesn't make me look any bigger either. My DH also liked it on me, and he is VERY honest with his opinions. Can't wait for some colder weather so I can wear it!

I am pear-shaped...the larger models are apple-shaped, maybe that makes a difference?

Respected Contributor

@vermint  I'm so glad that you love your new coat.  I wanted it in midnight blue, but missed out.  I thought it was beautiful and I'm sure you'll look beautiful wearing it.

Respected Contributor

@Trudey Awww...thanks! I know I'll FEEL beautiful wearing it...though people may think I'm weird when they see me "petting" my coat, lol. It's THAT soft!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vermint wrote:

Just an update: I received my black coat in 2X yesterday, and it's a stunner! No, it doesn't make me look slimmer...but it doesn't make me look any bigger either. My DH also liked it on me, and he is VERY honest with his opinions. Can't wait for some colder weather so I can wear it!

I am pear-shaped...the larger models are apple-shaped, maybe that makes a difference?

I got my XL yesterday in Black also and I really like mine too!! I don't think it looks too big either. I have a "stadium coat".....now THAT one makes me looks 2 sizes bigger, but it keeps me warm!!...LOL