Respected Contributor

Re: Basso NYC flagship fur salon burglarized

Not sorry at all to hear this. I am sorry for the aniamls that were tortured. Selling and wearing fur is disgusting.

Esteemed Contributor

@TY wrote:

I watched the security video footage and the bandits didn't exactly look like pros. The 1st guy threw something like a brick to break the glass door, he barreled into the door to break the safety glass, then the second guy was hit in the head by a couple of vertical metal bars from the door or frame and he reeled backwards -- he must have gotten a good hit on the noggin. Then he went forward into the store and so did a 3rd guy. The 3 guys left quickly with the merchandise -- it looked like a smash and grab to me.

On some news show, a reporter was in the store after the glass door was replaced and what was surprising was that it didn't look like the furs were locked up. It didn't look like there were bars on the windows or doors for after hours when the store is closed. Maybe Basso needs to step up his store security big time if the thieves were able to grab over a million dollars in furs.

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

Wow what a mess his insurance company will get after him if he doesn't beef up his security.  I would think furriers would have to abide by certain expectations when it comes to securing their stores.  If they don't lock the furs in the vault every night then they should have a gate his windows are pretty large and open unless like I said before this was an inside job by one of his employees that didn't lock up properly which is really what it's beginning to sound like based on the tape information.

Trusted Contributor

Regardless of your feelings about fur I still don't think anyone has the right to vandalize his store. If you don't agree with wearing fur don't buy one. People wear plenty of leather without realizing it's kind of the same.
Esteemed Contributor

Going through the display window must be some new urban gang theft thing.  In the past year or so in Chicago Neiman-Marcus has had their windows driven through twice.  Nordstrom has had snatch and runs in which there were several people involved in the handoffs of the stolen merchandise, and some other street level chic boutiques have been victimized by drive through the window thieves.  I actually witnessed one with the thieves running out if the Apple Store and the handoffs outside were well orchestrated.

Even if one doesn't  like the merchant's business, stealing is a crime.  I don't particularly care for legal weed stores, but if one were robbed I would not applaud because I have a moral stance against the product.