Valued Contributor

Re: Barefoot Dreams-like cardi at my Costco

It isn't a matter of being willing to pay for BD, this cardigan is even nicer!  I've ordered BD and sent back because, to me , it was too much like house ware.  This cardigan is so soft, medium warm, I bought all 3 colors.

Valued Contributor

This is not a knock off, it is better and I can't believe your attitude, wow!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beeweaver wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

Apologies if this has already been posted -- I looked but didn't see it! My Costco had a cardigan very similar to my Barefoot Dreams Circle Cardi last time we were there. It was by Max & Mia, they call it something like a "travel cardigan," it comes in three or four colors, and it is $24.99. I don't see it online (yet). Fabric content is 75% nylon/25% rayon, just like my BD (cozychic lite). My daughter purchased it in black, which is a solid black (that is, not heathered at all like my BD black). 

Yes, I posted on this about a month ago.  I bought the heather blue and taupe one.  You really can't tell the difference as I own the BFD one also.  The fabrication is the same on the tag as well.  They also have another style from Matty M that is a long cardigan with pockets.  I picked two of those up in black and heather taupe as well.  I own over 15 BFD pieces and these are the same feel and quality.  I suggest, if you are questioning this, go to your local Costco and check it out.  The Max and Mia one sold out on line as is the Matty M.  All these manufacturers are made in China (including Barefoot Dreams).  So I do wonder if they are made in the same factory.  

@Beeweaver, I'm sorry I missed your original post. I thought this item might be newer, since it was located in the front of my Costco with the "seasonal"/warm apparel and some items from the latest flyer. Also, I had never see it there before, and I do look through the apparel fairly frequently. Anyway, thank you for supplying some additional information (I couldn't for the life of me remember the other colors!) and for your "reviews" of the Costco versions of the cardigans.

Respected Contributor

For $24, it will surely fall apart!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

For $24, it will surely fall apart!

Mine is exactly the same as the BFD Circle Cardi.  I own both.  I've washed both several times and have worn them many times already.  They wear and feel the exact same with the exact same fabrication.  They are both made in China.  I own a ton of BFD.  You would have to see it to believe it.  I thought they were BFD until I saw the tag.  Go to your local Costco and see for yourself.  My husband asked me if I saw the BFD cardigans when he saw them first at Costco as he felt the material.  He didn't realize it was another brand until I brought it to his attention.   I am thouroughly enjoying mine and plan to buy more for gifts.  I also enjoy my other style BFD, but why not save money when you can?  Just giving  you the information.  And, if they fall apart, Costco will return it.  I've never had a problem returning anything to Costo.  They are amazing!!

Super Contributor

I have 5 pair of genuine Ugg boots and have two pair of Costco shearling boots I bought a couple of years ago. They look and feel exactly like the Ugg boots...the quality is exactly the same.

Granted, shearling boots are not the same as the woven knit of a BD cardigan...but my point is Costco really does a great job of sourcing quality products, especially under their Kirkland brand. Based on that, I'd be interested in looking at these cardigans. If for no other reason that I can try them on in the store. 

I own one BD cardigan and have ordered and returned two others because of fit. For me, BD is all over the place in their sizing. So checking out a BD-like cardigan is a no brainer. If the fit and quality are good, I honestly don't care what name is on the label.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@jonbon 

Thank you for letting us know about this sweater. I don't own a Barefoot Dreams sweater and I am not a Costco member, but I can see the appeal of the Max and Mara pricepoint.

I live in a condo and can't quite bring myself to wear traditional nightwear. Consequently, I wear yoga pants/leggings and a cami or t shirt to bed. On frigid days like today I use sweaters in this style as my "robe".

I don't believe you in any way implied this was a Barefoot Dreams imposter.  Again, thank you. It is posts like yours that make this forum valuable to its readers.

Thanks, @magicmoodz. Shout out to @Beeweaver, who was the first to bring this to our attention and provided a lot of additional information.

Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@jonbon 

Thank you for letting us know about this sweater. I don't own a Barefoot Dreams sweater and I am not a Costco member, but I can see the appeal of the Max and Mara pricepoint.

I live in a condo and can't quite bring myself to wear traditional nightwear. Consequently, I wear yoga pants/leggings and a cami or t shirt to bed. On frigid days like today I use sweaters in this style as my "robe".

I don't believe you in any way implied this was a Barefoot Dreams imposter.  Again, thank you. It is posts like yours that make this forum valuable to its readers.

Thanks, @magicmoodz. Shout out to @Beeweaver, who was the first to bring this to our attention and provided a lot of additional information.

@Beeweaver 

Echoing @jonbon  with a thank you for bringing this sweater to readers' attention. I missed your original post, probably because sweaters weren't on my radar at the time. Fast forward a few weeks and here I sit wondering which down jacket I should wear out tonight to stay warm!

Esteemed Contributor

To the several posters who mentioned that it looked like these tips were made in same Chinese factory: You may be correct.  When I lived in Korea we saw that happen all the time (same factory turned out items--sometimes with store's paper price tag).

Honored Contributor

to concede that the Costco sweaters are very similar would mean 'getting what they paid for' simply means you bought the name.....

For the record Costco isn't manufacturing knockoffs but selling closeouts and overstock items they can pick up pallettes of for pennies on the dollar.. I've purchased plenty of brand name items from BJs (same warehouse concept) and they're not manufactured explicitly for the store