Respected Contributor

Recently, the fashionista on the Q said it's perfectly ok to go bare legged in winter! 

That's fine in the warm weather states, but when it's cold, good bumps on cold blue tinged legs don't look good on anyone. 

I realize pantyhose have gone the way of an old fashioned corset, but for cold weather, I'm covering up.  Sheer hosiery don't provide a whole lot of warmth, but they're better than nothing, IMHO.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree with you....it's better to cover up. There are quite a few options out there to stay warm.

As a child, I remember walking to school in a dress in the cold weather with short anklets and mary jane shoes on my feet.  By the time I got to school my legs were frozen from my ankles right up to my bum.  Tights weren't invented yet.  On snowy days I wore leggings which were in wool to match my coat.  They were baggy and I'd tuck my dress inside of them. I tucked my mary jane shoes into rubber boots too.  My feet were really cold.

I am so glad that times have changed...too bad there are still females who refuse to use common sense. I am not one of them.

Honored Contributor
I'll have long pants on, and for the rare occasion I might wear a dress/skirt, I'll have tights/hose of some type on my legs.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Aside from the chill factor, bare white legs sticking out from under a black short skirt and then black shoes just looks funny, IMO.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Carmie,  I understand completely how you felt as a child!  I grew up in northeast  PA and winters there can be very cold and snowy.  We weren't allowed to wear pants to school, dresses or skirts only.  When it was brutally cold, we'd wear pants under our dresses then take them off when we arrived at school.  The invention of tights was a God send, but that didn't happen until high school! 

Respected Contributor

i agree @pattypeep   you are supposed to use self tanner on white legs so they have some color.

Respected Contributor

i must admit i haven't tried it yet, but i might if the occasion arose. 

i live in a climate where it does go down to the 40's at night so it isn't too bad if you go from the car to a building.

Respected Contributor

It is -2 degrees here/  Yes, I said minus.  And I still see baggy shorts or shower shoes out and about.

Valued Contributor

Just another sales tactic that makes you scratch your head.  Then the next presentation will be for fleece leggings and the same host will tell you how you need to stay warm in the winter.  

Honored Contributor

Bare legs look foolish with sweaters, coats, and gloves!  It looks odd to bundle up then be exposed in other ways unless you're in holiday or formal wear.