Trusted Contributor

Re: Barbie - 60th Anniversary

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

Do you remember when we had one Barbie and we changed her CLOTHES? I used to tell DD about that - she couldn't relate! I was lucky. My teenage babysitter liked to make Barbie clothes and my Barbie and I had a lot of them. My mom gave my Barbies, Ken, Midge, and Skipper, my case and my house and car all away to a lucky little girl when I was at college. She didn't ask me, but I wasn't too upset - back THEN at least! Smiley LOL

We must be around the same age lol!  My favorite gift of ALL time when I was a young girl was Malibu Barbie & her vinyl fold-out "house" my parents bought me.  I so neatly kept all her outfits & shoes in there.  My Mom gave them away to a younger cousin when I got older & she never took care of them the way I did.  Like you it bothers me more now than it did then!!

Esteemed Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I still have my original Barbie from 1959 in its original box.  The price tag is $2.99.

She sure has evolved over the years!

You enjoyed your Barbie IN THE box?  that barbie missed out a lot.  my Barbies may have lost their limbs but they were well played with....

Esteemed Contributor

I had a blonde bubblecut Barbie and still do....LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

@twinsister , I bet it's worth a lot more than $2.99 today.  Have you ever looked into it?  Did you ever play with it?

@Carol Diane  @NYCLatinaMe  -  I played with my Barbie a lot and also had the Barbie Dream House, which I still have.    My mother made different outfits for her and I would spend hours changing her clothes and playing.

I know she is worth a lot of money now, but I don't think I could sell it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Carol Diane wrote:

@twinsister , I bet it's worth a lot more than $2.99 today.  Have you ever looked into it?  Did you ever play with it?

@Carol Diane  @NYCLatinaMe  -  I played with my Barbie a lot and also had the Barbie Dream House, which I still have.    My mother made different outfits for her and I would spend hours changing her clothes and playing.

I know she is worth a lot of money now, but I don't think I could sell it.  

I am glad she got out of the box!  I loved changing her clothes too, playing with the doll house... I think I wore my dolls out.  Don't recall what happened to them. I seem to remember body parts.  If they were in good enough condition, I am sure they were passed on to my cousin.  I was ready to move on... Still like to look at them.

Esteemed Contributor

Memories!! I loved Barbie & Ken!!

Valued Contributor

My mom didn't buy me a Ken doll for awhile.  Poor Barbie was stuck with a GI Joe doll (my mom bought it as a spare Christmas present for a cousin but I convinced her to give him to me) until Ken came into her life.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

My Mom did the same thing when I went in to Jr High, I complained to my hubby about this and he surprised me with a Barbie for my 40th birthday

@beach-mom wrote:

Do you remember when we had one Barbie and we changed her CLOTHES? I used to tell DD about that - she couldn't relate! I was lucky. My teenage babysitter liked to make Barbie clothes and my Barbie and I had a lot of them. My mom gave my Barbies, Ken, Midge, and Skipper, my case and my house and car all away to a lucky little girl when I was at college. She didn't ask me, but I wasn't too upset - back THEN at least! Smiley LOL

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

I love Barbie dolls and still do. My best friend and I played with them (secretly because we were getting up in age lol) probably until 6th grade.  I love looking at the designer Barbies and have been  tempted to buy a few.  Neither my daughter nor granddaughter are huge fans to my dismay. I still have my dolls, clothes and accessories.  They are still amazing....a camera that has pictures when you look into it, a tv, etc....they are all made so well.  Some are metal instead of the plastic it would be today.  I have many fond memories of carrying my huge cases up the steep hill to my friend's house.  Hours and hours of imaginary play.  We were able to entertain ourselves without ipads or tablets.  Imagine that!!!

@Carol DianeMy best friend and I played Barbies for a very long time too!  We had an on-going soap opera going with our dolls!   

Super Contributor

I love Barbie!   I have one Barbie, Navy Barbie sitting on my desk at work.   I bought her when I was in the Navy.   I loved playing with Barbie when I was a girl.  I had the camper, fold up house and clothing and accessories for her.   Nothing against Ken but I always thought he was nerdy looking.  Barbie on the other hand was/is smart and beautiful on the inside and out.