Esteemed Contributor
On 9/14/2014 happy housewife said:

I was born with a club foot that was surgically repaired when I was a baby - however, I have had orthopedic problems with this my entire life and never could wear high heels. As for the more rounded Clark's shoes type heel vs the more square stacked heel - I think people should be able to buy whatever they like without having to be criticized by anyone. I can't wear a ballet flat - it does not give the support I need. Clark's are my go to shoes generally, except for a few pairs Ryka walking shoes, and a pair of orthaheel thong sandals I wear to the pool.

BTW - I do not think it is right to call certain types of any clothing item Mom ----, when it is intended to be a derogatory term. The word Mom should never be used in a derogatory manner.

HH, you and I agree on that!Smile I said exactly the same thing in my previous post on this thread. There was a saying in a skit on Saturday Night Live with Tina Fey that brought this to the forefront and really made it a term to be used to describe this style of jeans. It was "I'm not a woman anymore...I'm a Mom!" So I don't like this term as Mom Jeans or Mom Heels.... This is the definition of "Mom jeans"....

mom jeans

high-waisted, unfashionable jeans commonly worn by middle-aged mothers.

Women’s jeans of a style regarded as unfashionable or unflattering

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/14/2014 morganjen said:
On 9/13/2014 sidsmom said:
On 9/13/2014 madcity411 said:

Got something against comfort? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Many of the foam soles..in low heel AND high heel...are "too soft"...not enough support. I've inherited bad feet so I've tried all types of shoes for comfort. The sharp heels have more "umph" to them..and aren't as foamy, squishy. Sharp heeled shoes, in my mind, are more comfortable than Mom Heels.

I also find these foam-type heels oddly uncomfortable for me, too. They do remind me of those SAS shoes. Must be a cost-saving measure for shoe manufacturing.

News flash for all of you critical of the "foamy, squishy" "mom heels." NOT EVERYONE'S FEET ARE THE SAME. I have arthritis in my knees and hips, and the heels you dislike are sooo much more comfortable for me because they absorb the impact when I walk. The "sharp square heel" in the second picture does nothing to absorb impact, so walking in them is a lot less comfortable. I always find it amusing to read these threads that criticize various comfort shoes because some posters assume that others wear less than stylish shoes because they just don't know any better. Ha! When you're in pain, you wear what feels best because you don't have any other choice. So call them "mom shoes" or whatever you like, I'll keep buying them so I can walk in comfort. May you never have to make the same decision.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Watch old episodes of 'Friends'....and they rocked the Mom Jean even back then. 'Monica Geller' wore them all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

I only wish I could wear them. I wrecked, ruined my arches by wearing the "non-mom" heel for years and years... the higher the better. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

Super Contributor
On 9/14/2014 sidsmom said: Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yup, 40 year old women who have forgotten they are women. No sax appeal, leave the house with these ungodly jeans on (if you want to call them that) Those jeans show every lump, bump, stomach pooch, and cottage cheese cellulite thighs . UGG. I actually am so embarrassed for them when one crosses my path!

Honored Contributor

ITA! Back in college, I had a pair of pleated, tapered jeans by the brand name 'Zena'. Girl....I had the 'crotch smile' & everything...bad look. BUT I also had Calvin's....classic, non-pleated look (same high waist) totally different look. Clean lines rarely go out of style...and Mom Heels aren't a 'clean' line.

Honored Contributor

I wear ""Mom"" jeans because they are way way way more flattering than muffin tops and flab hanging out the tops of the pants or skin tight stretchy fabric over the thighs and butts. Mom jeans may not be the latest style but they are way more flattering on everyone but little girls or very extremely thin women. I wore hip hugger pants when I was young and mini skirts and a lot of what designers are again pushing at us. I once heard a designer on TV say ""If you were around to wear this the first time - you should not be wearing it now"" Truer words have never been spoken.

Super Contributor

Gee, here's a thought. How about we wear what is good for the overall health of a foot and walking in comfort and forget about the pressure society puts on us to wear heals and end up with some messed up feet?

Honored Contributor

There's a HUGE difference between ""Bad Style"" and ""Wrong Size"". If anything is hanging out over the top & stretched tight....that's just the wrong size.