Frequent Contributor

Like KittymomNC said, you don't have to be insulting. I find the reference several posts ago regarding hens quite insulting.

I agree with all the last few posts. I think it isn't about what you do or what you don't wear, it is about you wearing (and not) what YOU want to wear.

I love clothes, I wear makeup every single day. Not because I have to, (well, yeah, I HAVE to wear clothes) but because I want to. I didn't "give up" so to speak the day I turned 40...50...whatever. I color my hair. But I don't do any of that out of peer pressure. THAT is the difference between me 30 years ago and now. And I would love to stay looking youthful. But I will never cross that line of trying to look young...I'm trying not to look old. There is a difference. I've always loved makeup and I've always loved stylish clothes...never been particularly "high" fashion. I like classic.

My sister does not wear a lick of makeup, nor color her hair and she's all grey. She is happy that way. She finds all the stuff I like boring. Period. And now she's old enough to not feel the need to please anyone but herself. Sure, she wants her husband to like the way she looks but its really all about her own feelings on it.

My original point is I've seen some posters in the past, and also on this thread, slam older women, mostly in regards to what QVC sells and their preferences. Some things I do or don't buy do indeed come down to what I can handle. Lower heeled shoes for example. I simply can not wear, and I mean literally, really high heels or ballet flats. I try my very best not to buy frumpy ones but sometimes when I do, oh, wow, the comfort! And that's when I remember that no one really cares about my shoes and I am old enough that I don't really care if they do. I would PREFER for people to admire how I look but I don't HAVE to look a certain way.

But I don't like getting slammed for getting older and that is really what I thought I was reading between the lines in some of the posts. Its cruel. Do you younger people think you're never going to age? Never going to have to cater to your bodies shape or issues?

I'm sure I probably was snarky too like that a little when I was younger but I know I wouldn't have done that on a forum in a place that caters mostly to middle aged, and perhaps up. Of course I couldn't have if I wanted to because when I was that young, we didn't have electricity or fancy stuff like they do now. Ha.

Esteemed Contributor

Fitzallen, I like the way you think. One question I've asked myself over the last year or two is: If I don't spend $200-$400 on a handbag, is anyone going to care? I've posted the kinds of heels I like, and if they aren't fashionable enough for some, do I care? No, I don't.

I feel that I dress well, fashionable, and young enough...I don't want to look like a teeny-bopper! But one thing I've never spent a lot of money on is handbags - I can get a perfectly good-looking one for $50-$100, or a Vera Bradley bag for $40 - $70. I love some of the expensive ones like B. Makowsky and D&B, but why would I need one? My life is different now, there is no one that I need to impress like I felt I needed to do at one time in my work life. But even then, I didn't spend $200 on a bag.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the majority of people would have any idea the brand of bag I carry when I'm out and about, and I doubt seriously if they would care, and I certainly don't think they would care or even notice what kind of heel I have on my shoes! I dress for me, and for the people I care about. One of my son's friends told him "your Mom is beautiful"...now that made me happy because I care if my son is proud of me. And that compliment wasn't given because I spend a lot of money on fashion, or have the latest, youngest "looks"...I'm just me, "older" and thankful to still be here!Smile

Super Contributor

in response to post #180, I didn't say I dress like I don't care. I do always dress like I care, and it's not in some baggy, schlumpy sweatshirt or sweatpants. I wear comfortable and stylish clothes. There is such a thing these days and items can be found in many stores without breaking the bank or trying to look trendy.

I really don't look at what anyone else is wearing and I doubt they look at me with a critical eye either. If someone is dressed inappropriately such as a lady my age wearing short-shorts (I actually did see an older woman wearing what looked like cheerleaders shorts walking down the street with her dog and she looked awful), or some midriff baring top or too tight leather jeans, then, yes, I do notice and think "what is she thinking". Not caring what others think does not mean that you thumb your nose at other people and wear something foolish just because you can.

The point is, that with age comes a different kind of self confidence and it is usually about not worrying about what the rest of the world thinks about your fashion choices. I did wear all the high heels and corporate business attire when I worked but even saying that if an older woman worked in the office and had on "mom shoes" I didn't think to myself how un-stylish she was, I thought to myself, well enjoy yourself now and wear the high heels because in a few years, that will be you.

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 luvingit said: Look at how beautiful Joan Rivers always looked. She dressed with care because she was older.

Joan never wore the black, foamy, Mom Heels....never, ever. She was much more stylish than that.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/18/2014 sidsmom said:
On 9/18/2014 luvingit said: Look at how beautiful Joan Rivers always looked. She dressed with care because she was older.

Joan never wore the black, foamy, Mom Heels....never, ever. She was much more stylish than that.

With all due respect, we saw her in public or on her reality show. She was 81 - do you seriously think she NEVER, EVER wore comfortable shoes that might not have been as fashionable as what she allowed US to see?? She was a public figure and yes, she represented the fashion industry in many ways, so she had to dress a certain way for the public. Most of us are not public figures, subject to scrutiny of every single thing we wear, say, or do......and I'm glad I'm just regular old me! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Regular Contributor

I am in that older category...and recently on a brief business trip, I took two pair of what I will now call "vanity" shoes...and did I suffer!

Had to go to a mall and buy a pair of Aerosole heeless sandals because I had so many blisters!

Nothing is worse than suffering from sore feet...(not really nothing...but you get my point.)

If I ever look at someone's shoes...the main thing I notice is that they are polished and clean...not the heels...maybe the color! LOL!

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 9/18/2014 sidsmom said:

With all due respect, we saw her in public or on her reality show. She was 81 - do you seriously think she NEVER, EVER wore comfortable shoes that might not have been as fashionable as what she allowed US to see?? She was a public figure and yes, she represented the fashion industry in many ways, so she had to dress a certain way for the public. Most of us are not public figures, subject to scrutiny of every single thing we wear, say, or do......and I'm glad I'm just regular old me! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Joan had a totally different lifestyle than the average American woman, far more glamorous. She didn't have to worry about standing in line at the post office, walking miles through the grocery store or bringing in the garbage cans. It's not appropriate to compare her footwear with what's practical for me. There are tons of cute shoes with the molded rubber soles. I have more dressy shoes but for me, I'll take the rubber soles for day to day wear.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment