Honored Contributor

Re: BEST WAY TO STORE LARGE & BULKY COATS?

I do-not own a big bulky coat.... or a large coat.  I usually just wear sweaters...layers...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our coat closet is quite small, so I hang our heavier coats and jackets in there.  Then the light-weight coats and jackets are hung in our clothes closet.  I also purged alot of our clothes and outerwear because we just had too much, so it made enough room to avoid our clothes getting smushed.

If you have a spare bedroom or office with a closet, perhaps you could hang them in there.

Honored Contributor

I would store the ones like puffer coats, down coats, etc in vacuum bags.. The ones that will hold a wrinkle wouldn't be good like wool or twill--  but the ones that you can wash and fluff up would be fine. I found some really good, huge bags from AMZ to store extra comforters, pillows, blankets , towels and the like in, and they actually stayed sealed until I unsealed them----have about 4 bags filled now that live in a closet that take up way less space than those plastic totes.

Honored Contributor

A very long, large plastic bin. (One of my friends has a long bin she calls a coffin bin. I don't know where she found it, as years ago, I was looking for one.)

If they're wool items, first drill holes in the bins for air circulation.  

Of course, if you have an extra or hall closet, first cover coats with a sheet or garment bag.  

I have several items hanging on racks in my basement room.  It's not a damp room, facing West with windows.  

I have a tarp covering the top portion and along the sides of the rack.  

Those plastic/rubber/whatever bins are very, very handy.

You can store just about everything in them.  No dust.

Clear bins are ideal if you want to see what's inside.

Cover them with a dark tarp to avoid fading items. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).