Honored Contributor

BEST WAY TO STORE LARGE & BULKY COATS?

I cleared out several pieces of outerwear last fall, and, coincidentally, recently got both a nice raincoat and winter coat on sale.   

The older ones had gotten pretty smushed and wrinkled, and I want to prevent that happening with the new coats.  (Since I live in Southern CA, they will spend most of their lives on hangers)

How do you store bulky coats so they stay nice? 

TIA !

Mask   Mask   Mask

Respected Contributor

Re: BEST WAY TO STORE LARGE & BULKY COATS?

Do you have a basement?  Hubby strung a wire in the basement - kinda like a clothes line, but super strong to hold out-of-season coats.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I store my clean heavy coats folded in half in the largest plastic covered container from walmart.  No moths!

I got the size with two wheels at the end because I wanted width as well as length.  They also protect from dust from the basement being swept and aired out.

Sterilite 45 Gal. Wheeled Latch Tote Stadium Blue Case of 4

Honored Contributor

I store my puffer coats on a hangar in a plastic bag, either one with a zipper or the kind I get from the dry cleaners. Nothing fancy.  They are in the coat closet in the hallway until fall.

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee 

Would recommend covering them with a sheet that can be tied shut.....mice !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

All our outerwear coats, bulky and not, are hanging in the small closet just inside our front door in our entryway. We downsized and donated many of our coats a few years ago. There’s about a dozen coats in there now. 

Honored Contributor

All coats are stored hanging in the coat closet. 

Honored Contributor

I have a coat closet just inside the front door of the apartment.  The only stuff in their is my collection of DB faux fur coats and my LandsEnd parkas.   I don't store them anywhere - just don't open the closet until the weather is cold enough to wear a coat.

Honored Contributor

Coats are in the coat closet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   I hang my coats in the hall closet.  You can cover with already made covers or use your imagination and use a twin sheet for two of the coats.  I use my winter coats every winter.

kindness is strength