Honored Contributor

Re: BANANA REPULIC RENTING CLOTHING?

I just looked at the BR site and I don't see where this is strictly performance gear?  It seems to be anything on the BR site.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I just looked at the BR site and I don't see where this is strictly performance gear?  It seems to be anything on the BR site.  

You are correct.  It isn't.

ETA - other stores do this too, it isn't a new concept.  Like you said Rent the Runway.  Ann Taylor has their Infinite Style program.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

You are correct.  It isn't.

ETA - other stores do this too, it isn't a new concept.  Like you said Rent the Runway.  Ann Taylor has their Infinite Style program.

@Mj12 , with the exception of a few pieces, I don't even think they sell true performance gear.  Most of what I see under the activewear tab aren't exactly items I would work out in.  

Honored Contributor

It's only EWW worthy if you're not washing them.

I don't believe I've heard of someone contracting some horrible illness from previously worn clothing...and if you're willing to shop consignment and thrift stores then what's the difference?!

It's only cool if it's second hand designer duds? Vintage?

Honored Contributor

To me, used clothing just has an "ick" factor. I know lots of people buy and wear them and that's fine. I'm just not one of them. I do wash any item before I use/wear it, also.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I don't believe I've heard of someone contracting some horrible illness from previously worn clothing...and if you're willing to shop consignment and thrift stores then what's the difference?!

Well, personally, I don't go to thrift stores and when I buy clothing I want it to not be worn before I buy it. My mom put me in thrift store clothing and I swore to myself at age 8, Never again. And talk to doctors who work in the ER and skin diseases spread by contact. I just googled risks of used clothing and dry cleaning does not remove all pathogens. Just think of used shoes.

Esteemed Contributor

What happens to returned clothing anywhere?  How do you know if its been worn and returned?  I do know that most dept stores that accepted returns during the pandemic dry cleaned everything.  Did QVC?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

Well, personally, I don't go to thrift stores and when I buy clothing I want it to not be worn before I buy it. My mom put me in thrift store clothing and I swore to myself at age 8, Never again. And talk to doctors who work in the ER and skin diseases spread by contact. I just googled risks of used clothing and dry cleaning does not remove all pathogens. Just think of used shoes.

@Trinity11 

if that were a real health risk (pre Covid) would clothing stores have fitting rooms?

Not wanting to wear used clothing is certainly your choice but there's no danger attributed to it...just personal ick...

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Trinity11 

if that were a real health risk (pre Covid) would clothing stores have fitting rooms?

Not wanting to wear used clothing is certainly your choice but there's no danger attributed to it...just personal ick...

@Andreatoo Yes. I remember one sales associate telling me at Nordstrom why the fitting rooms were locked. This was long before Covid. Only key entry. I do think used clothing is risky dependent upon many factors which I doubt will matter to anyone but myself, so I will refrain from the details.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any used clothing I want to wear I always wash before wearing. That seems like common sense. My SIL and I usually give each other first shot at any donate bags we might have before we get rid of them. We both almost always find something we want to take from each other’s bag. We don’t wear even close to the same size shoes, so not an issue. I have never bought used shoes and just doubt they would fit after someone else’s foot had broken them in. Yuk. Inused to go thrifting with a friend on a regular basis but haven't been since way before COVID. Not sure if I will ever feel comfortable doing that again.