Honored Contributor

Re: Average Clothing Amount

[ Edited ]

Way, way more than the average!!!  I want choices and for me to just buy quality for longevity would never work for me.  I could not just rely on the same few items to mix and match even though I am a jeans and tee person.  Styles change constantly and even though I do not care about what is supposedly the style of the moment, I do like new and different articles of clothing.  There are very few items of clothing that I would not tire of if only having a minimum of items.  

Hope it's not true that the French are not particularly into cleanliness with wearing the same items over and over!

Respected Contributor

OFF THE CHARTS MORE!   And I put together bags to donate at the start of the pandemic.  Time to do it again.  

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

I have more than that average but that is changing as my life changes.  When I was younger and working full time, I had clothes  for specific facets of my life.  I had clothes that I only wore to work.  I had clothes that I wore "out" and for specific social activities.  I had clothes for working out, sports and hiking.   Then there are the kicking around at home, cleaning, yard work and playing with the dogs clothes.   Shoes had the same rules.  Things are different now in my life, I am not as socially active and participating in tennis, snow skiing and sports.  My clothes are making the same transition and I need less.  How people dress has changed and I am changing as well.  It is time to pare down.  I  don't think there is a "one fits all" rule of dressing.

@Jk9 

Your comments are so true. I also had, and to a certain extent, still have clothes for certain purposes. When we were growing up we had our church clothes, nicer casual clothes, around the house clothes, and school uniforms. We never mixed and matched items in those categories.

I definitely think growing up that way is part of the reason why I have a lot of clothes (and, of course, liking to shop). I still have outfits that I only wear to certain places and for certain events. I need to mix things up more and get more usage out of my items. 

Respected Contributor

Way more than that. I love having a lot of choices. I love to have shoes in basically every color (and heel height) to match my outfits. I get a lot of compliments on the way I dress and I have no desire to minimize my wardrobe.  

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

Same here growing up - different clothes for different places / days / functions.    

Still the same with me.  Just so much easier - I don't subscribe to the "cost-per-wear" formula / multi-purpose clothes.  I have separate "wardrobes" for different  functions.  

------------------------------------------------------

@wilma wrote:

Your comments are so true. I also had, and to a certain extent, still have clothes for certain purposes. When we were growing up we had our church clothes, nicer casual clothes, around the house clothes, and school uniforms. We never mixed and matched items in those categories.

I definitely think growing up that way is part of the reason why I have a lot of clothes (and, of course, liking to shop). I still have outfits that I only wear to certain places and for certain events. I need to mix things up more and get more usage out of my items. 

Respected Contributor

I have thinned my clothing as much as I dare. My problem is my weight. I often fluctuate between two sizes, so I have  a wardrobe in each size. Pants in particular are not forgiving. I have pants and jeans in multiple sizes that cannot be replaced or replicated in today's marketplace. They look current but have excellent tailoring and fabric that no longer available. They can be donated when I am gone.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I have way, way more.  However I am currently in the process of developing a plan to reduce both inventory and new acquisitions.

@faeriemoon 

Let us know how the process goes and if you have any tips.

@wilma I will.  I can tell you I'm starting off with the "when is the last time I wore it" criterion.  I'm also going to use color as a guide.  There are certain colors I reach for all the time, yet there are items in my closed that I bought "just in case I ever feel like wearing that color".  Guess what; I never feel like wearing that color.  

I'll keep you posted.

Trusted Contributor

@mjabby wrote:

I would say I have a lot more than the average amount and leave it at that!

Me too😬

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing average about me! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Average Clothing Amount

[ Edited ]

I am so far above that average I can't imagine only having 170 items to wear.  I have over 100 in just shoes.

I do have a need for a 4 season wardrobe so that accounts for part of the above average excess.  \

Also because of digestive health and other issues can my weight/size can change in an instant so I have the size I usually wear and I keep a wardrobe of a size one smaller than I wear knowing there will be a time when they fit and what I currently wear would be too large in most items.  There were times when I lost weight quickly and didn't have smaller clothes saved so I would get tired of wear too big items and buy smaller ones, then my weight would come back and I needed my normal size.  So I have learned to keep both sizes.

I love clothes and would not be happy wearing the same items over and over.  I enjoy putting various items together in different ways  (in other words I like to play clothes),

I know I buy too many clothes but I am a purger as I like to organize and I do donate a lot to keep my closets/dressers/amoire in good shape and I am fortunate enough to have plenty of the above closets, etc.   I keep the too small stuff in storage bins til they are needed.  I do go thru them when I purge also.

Maybe since the survery includes women from all over the world, it included countries where seasonal clothes are not needed along with other issues such as the French women stated abovt who have small amounts of clothes and that would bring the average down.