Honored Contributor

Average Clothing Amount

[ Edited ]

According to a survey from 2020, the average woman has about 150 pieces of clothing. The responses from the U.S. show an average of about 170 pieces.

It's important to note that her survey included shoes and outerwear. 😱😳

The survey included 86 responses from women all over the world with amounts ranging from 25 pieces to over 600. The woman who posted the survey admits it’s not a scientific study. It would be interesting to get an even larger sample of responses. 

Do you have more or less clothing than this "average”?

Including shoes and outerwear, I am a bit above this average. I try every year to buy less, but I really like to shop & buy new clothes. I have a variety of tops, jackets, cardigans, sweaters, and shoes. I can manage with fewer bottoms. I also have quite a few dresses.

Honored Contributor

Re: Average Clothing Amount

[ Edited ]

@wilma   Woman Embarassed

Frequent Contributor

I would say I have a lot more than the average amount and leave it at that!

Honored Contributor

I have far, far less. I have often spoken on this forum that back in 1974 I read an article in a Vogue supplemental book how French women have very small closets and few clothes but are some of the best dressed women in the world. They have a well curated wardrobe where everything works together. Quality over quantity. I live by that adage to this day 48 years later.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure I'm above average.  When I'm off, I'm "down" or going out to lunch.  I don't feel like a major over haul-ugh!

Honored Contributor

@mjabby wrote:

I would say I have a lot more than the average amount and leave it at that!

@mjabby 

I have a feeling you and I aren't the only ones. 🥴😉

Honored Contributor

I have way, way more.  However I am currently in the process of developing a plan to reduce both inventory and new acquisitions.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I have far, far less. I have often spoken on this forum that back in 1974 I read an article in a Vogue supplemental book how French women have very small closets and few clothes but are some of the best dressed women in the world. They have a well curated wardrobe where everything works together. Quality over quantity. I live by that adage to this day 48 years later.

@Trinity11 

Good for you! I've heard the same thing about French women. I have watched a few videos about that and about minimal wardrobes. I understand and practice mixing and matching to make lots of outfits. I guess I just prefer more variety so things don't look too much "the same". 

In my defense, I have a lot less than I used to have. At one time I needed 3 of those portable assemble yourself closet things in my basement along with multiple large bins.  Now, everything for all seasons is in one closet and 2 dressers in my bedroom. So, I have made progress in downsizing my wardrobe. 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I have way, way more.  However I am currently in the process of developing a plan to reduce both inventory and new acquisitions.

@faeriemoon 

Let us know how the process goes and if you have any tips.

Contributor

I find this very interesting and fun to read...I'd have to say I'm above average...partly because of where I live and the need to have lots of different outerwear and boots for the four seasons...and partly just because I like to have lots of options.