Honored Contributor

Re: Ashley Graham Launches Size Inclusive Wedding Dress Collection

I'm actually kind of shocked at how pretty these dresses are.  I never care for what I see her in.  

I've also never cared for her swimsuits either.   

Honored Contributor

Pretty dresses, but I don't think this concept is exactly new.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Pretty dresses, but I don't think this concept is exactly new.

@faeriemoon 

Thank you! I posted to say just that! Why are we acting like big girls coudn't buy wedding dresses before Ashley came along?!

Honored Contributor

The number of plus size gowns are few and far between.  The choices are are very limited and I'm not sure any gowns go up to a size 34 without being custom made.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The number of plus size gowns are few and far between.  The choices are are very limited and I'm not sure any gowns go up to a size 34 without being custom made.

@Lipstickdiva 

I'll concede that a 4 or 5x will have difficulty finding choices but then so will the very tiny/thin woman. Just ask some of the ladies around here...

I watch Say Yes to the Dress occasionally and see plenty of plus sized gals trying on dresses.

there's nothing remotely wrong with Ashley's designs but to play it off as a niche previously unfulfilled (like Laurie Felt's shirts that go with jeans) is a bit of a stretch...

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

I'll concede that a 4 or 5x will have difficulty finding choices but then so will the very tiny/thin woman. Just ask some of the ladies around here...

I watch Say Yes to the Dress occasionally and see plenty of plus sized gals trying on dresses.

there's nothing remotely wrong with Ashley's designs but to play it off as a niche previously unfulfilled (like Laurie Felt's shirts that go with jeans) is a bit of a stretch...

@Andreatoomaybe the store has more but if you go to Kleinfelds on-line, they have whopping 172 plus size dresses to choose from.  I would bet my last dollar there are far more average size dresses to choose from than are available for a plus-size woman.  The dresses start at a 2, some even a 0 so there aren't many thin women having an issue.  Bridal gowns typically run on the smaller side. There is an upcharge for a plus-size gown.  

I always feel bad for the plus-size women on SYTTD because of the very limited choice. Most dresses in Kleinfeld are a 10/12 so even if the dress comes in a plus-size, they can't try it on.  

I don't think what she's doing is groundbreaking but I think there need to be many more plus size options in bridal gowns.  I remember fairly recently watching a program and a plus size younger actress was talking about the issues she had getting a gown for an awards show.  She said her choices were very, very slim and many designers weren't interested in dressing her at her size.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

I remember the woman you are talking about and I think it was a singer. Her issue wasn't that she couldn't get a dress designed for her it was that she couldn't get a free dress for the event! The dresses lent for those occasions are the samples and yes they were not in her size

Trusted Contributor

Gorgeous!!!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Her collection is beautiful.  How nice that every woman can look her best on her wedding day.  The prices seem pretty fair too.

A win-win for all.

I agree dresses are beautiful.  So glad they include larger sizesSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It's not as hard for a 2 to find a dress as a 3x and above. You can also take in a 4 or 6 to suit a 2. I think her line does fulfill a niche for the higher end of plus sizes.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu