Respected Contributor

Re: Article -- "Some celebrities are trading NYC for QVC shopping network"

I remember seeing Susan Graver in a catalog many years ago. I think it was Bloomingdales.

Respected Contributor

Celebrities will go where the money is. I don't blame them. If you can make a killing selling on QVC, why not?  I remember my husband walking in when Keith Urban was selling his guitars on HSN. Hubby said he's sold x amount of guitars, do you realize that's whatever millions (can't recall the figures). Not bad for a weekends work. 

Honored Contributor

Didn't both C wonder and Lisa Rinna's boutique go out of business before they came to the Q? I'd call that a business restructuring or a Hail Mary, not a trade
Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I remember seeing Susan Graver in a catalog many years ago. I think it was Bloomingdales.

i have been shopping from catalogs for years now. i still get a lot of catalogs. yes, susan graver was in bloomingdales years ago before she was at qvc.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

True, but only if you define "talking" as sales pitches.

Of course.  It would be a waste of time otherwise.  Actually, that's the only reason I would want to hear any of these people talk. 

Esteemed Contributor

Where has the NYDN been? Hiding under a rock? Celebrities and shopping channels have been around for years. The late Joan Rivers is was one of the original celebrities to sell her jewelry and clothing line. Connie Stevens used to sell on tv with her skin care line and Ivana Trump used to sell clothing and jewelry too.

Now anyone who has a reality tv show ends up a shopping channel sooner or later. Some products are nice and some are average but most are over priced.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Some are "trading," but some are just adding a different level to already thriving businesses.  Seems as if those who have been most successful elsewhere manage to make it in the shopping channel world also.  Probably no accidental happening.  I can think of some lines QVC offers that came out of nowhere, but I can think of many best selling lines that came from leaders already known for either the same things or related things long before they came to QVC. 

Who are the "names" of the shopping channel world pretty much unknown before they hit TV shopping?  I can think of three -- Jeanne Bice and  Lori Greiner as well as Joy Mangano from HSN.  Who else?

@millieshops*****Would Jen Rade count?  Her clothes were cute and she said she was styling actresses.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Some are "trading," but some are just adding a different level to already thriving businesses.  Seems as if those who have been most successful elsewhere manage to make it in the shopping channel world also.  Probably no accidental happening.  I can think of some lines QVC offers that came out of nowhere, but I can think of many best selling lines that came from leaders already known for either the same things or related things long before they came to QVC. 

Who are the "names" of the shopping channel world pretty much unknown before they hit TV shopping?  I can think of three -- Jeanne Bice and  Lori Greiner as well as Joy Mangano from HSN.  Who else?

@millieshops*****Would Jen Rade count?  Her clothes were cute and she said she was styling actresses.

Jen's line didn't see to do too well on QVC.

Honored Contributor

I knew of Lisa Rinna prior to QVC, she did once upon a time have successful boutiques in California, as well as being an actress(soap operas and Lifetime movies mainly), also Dennis Basso and Judith Ripka both have very successful businesses prior to QVC. I remember seeing both of their advertisements in magazines. Now every other celebrity is hawking skincare, or makeup or clothing lines, I just saw where Vaness Williams is coming to Evine soon with a line......