Honored Contributor

Article -- "Some celebrities are trading NYC for QVC shopping network"

Interesting NY Daily News article on the fashion brands at QVC.  I found particularly interesting -- "The lucrative round-the-clock business is part talk show and part reality TV as hosts and sellers seduce at-home audiences live, sans script."  

Part talk show, part reality TV?  Hmmmmm.  http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/celebrities-trading-nyc-qvc-shopping-network-article-1.2554174

image.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Article -- "Some celebrities are trading NYC for QVC shopping network"

Some days it is part reality show.....

Honored Contributor

The “Steals and Deals” segment host, known for her stylish staples at affordable prices, sold a whopping 50,000 wrap belts (at $86 a pop) in 24 hours from her G.I.L.I. line, but was most flattered when she saw a woman at LaGuardia Airport decked in one of her travel bags with a wallet to match.

I think I've heard of this belt...

Honored Contributor

Some are "trading," but some are just adding a different level to already thriving businesses.  Seems as if those who have been most successful elsewhere manage to make it in the shopping channel world also.  Probably no accidental happening.  I can think of some lines QVC offers that came out of nowhere, but I can think of many best selling lines that came from leaders already known for either the same things or related things long before they came to QVC. 

Who are the "names" of the shopping channel world pretty much unknown before they hit TV shopping?  I can think of three -- Jeanne Bice and  Lori Greiner as well as Joy Mangano from HSN.  Who else?

Honored Contributor

True, but only if you define "talking" as sales pitches.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Some are "trading," but some are just adding a different level to already thriving businesses.  Seems as if those who have been most successful elsewhere manage to make it in the shopping channel world also.  Probably no accidental happening.  I can think of some lines QVC offers that came out of nowhere, but I can think of many best selling lines that came from leaders already known for either the same things or related things long before they came to QVC. 

Who are the "names" of the shopping channel world pretty much unknown before they hit TV shopping?  I can think of three -- Jeanne Bice and  Lori Greiner as well as Joy Mangano from HSN.  Who else?

@millieshops- I think Susan Graver was not too well known....we have her word that she was known but I shopped NYC for many years, still do but never came across her name.   I guess Lori Goldstein is known but I wasn't aware of her name before QVC.  I think maybe she was known as a stylist. 

Honored Contributor

Stray  I also didn't know Susan and Lori prior to their time at QVC, but yes, you can Goggle them and find out they had careers prior to coming to QVC - definitely they added big time to their bottom line with their QVC success though.

BTW- I had no idea about Dennis Basso or Judith Ripka before they became "personalities" at QVC, yet both were already Madison Avenue (more?) before QVC, and Chaz' California salon?   I think it was successful where it is, but nothing like the money-maker his foray into TV land has been.   

I think the reason for success in retail isn't just creativity - it's also business acumen and hard, long hours of work.  The stars make it look easy, but that part of what they do is smoke and mirrors just as much as my daily make-up is.  Except for big inheritances or lotteries, I'm not sure any path to big money is easy.

Esteemed Contributor

The article said the had $8.6 billion in sales last year and 179 million articles sold. That works out to $48.60 per item. Interesting. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

This is an advertisement disguised as an article. 

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly.....I never heard of these "celebrities" before they came to the Q....and I have been around for almost 74 years...