Super Contributor

Article: 8 New Definitions of "Flattering"

Flattering is an interesting word. Many times, I don't agree with a vendor who claims the article of clothing is "flattering" to one's figure. What flatters me isn't going to be flattering to someone with an hourglass shape. I'm shaped like a capital "T". Wide shoulders and straight body.

One of the online dictionary definitions is:

making someone look or feel better or more attractive than usual:

I just came across this article that begins:

When someone scrunches up their nose and tells you that your outfit isn’t “flattering,” you typically know that it means one of two things: You're wearing something that either doesn't make you look taller or skinnier. Seeing style through that narrow lens is definitely a shortcut to whittling down the contents of your shopping cart, but we prefer to define a flattering piece as one that really represents the person wearing it. And, what does that say if we're all taking taller and thinner to mean better? (emphasis added)

The article author's new definitions include: color, pattern, movement, texture, reveal-and-hide, the "wart," cultural relevancy, and well loved.

My own personal "flattering" include color, texture, pattern and movement.

What's YOUR flattering?

Honored Contributor

Re: Article: 8 New Definitions of ""Flattering""

Color for me.

Honored Contributor

Kathleen, are we only ones?

Esteemed Contributor

Great article. I think I attempt to consider it all when dressing for best effect, and that definitely includes feeling good and portraying the self I am that day, which in turn is a representation of things I've done and learned. It's the difference of modeling vs. dressing, or landscaping vs. gardening, or posing vs. living. Sure, I want to look good at a distance, but it's what's happening when I'm engaged in my world that matters.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Sister Golden Hair said:

Kathleen, are we only ones?

I guess "they" don't know what their "flattering" is!