Respected Contributor

Sort of off topic .... but I am baffled and disgusted to think that people would use the fitting room as a toilet and go on clothes!! What is wrong with some people??

Valued Contributor

You must have overheard my mother-in-law. Seriously!

Contributor
Not at discount stores. That's ridiculous. I am a retail manager. You should hear the stories.
Valued Contributor
On 4/7/2014 mnmom said: OP is talking about Nordstrom Rack ( the outlet/discount Nordstrom). I would not expect the same service from NR that I would from Nordstrom.

you should since both companies pride themselves on customer service.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

In the old days, that's what happened at full service department stores. No idea what's going on now since most of my stuff comes via TV and internet. Where I shop, Kohl's and Shopko, there is no associate around to do anything.

Trusted Contributor

In higher-end department stores that still pride themselves on customer service, the sales and dressing room staff are paid and expected to help customers find sizes, colors, and specific items they want to try on. They also tidy up the dressing rooms and return items to their proper racks after customers leave. There's no need for shoppers to be imperious or ungracious about making requests of store employees, but there's nothing wrong with expecting service. It's their job, and that kind of service is one reason people shop in better stores.

Contributor
Before I retired I shopped at Nordies and love Their clothes and great service. I never was Demanding or went overboard with my sales Lady. I now shop at Macy's and they do not Offer any help or suggestions, I'm on my own their. Anyone else have Macy stories??? Just wondering.
Respected Contributor
On 4/8/2014 Charlie8 said: Before I retired I shopped at Nordies and love Their clothes and great service. I never was Demanding or went overboard with my sales Lady. I now shop at Macy's and they do not Offer any help or suggestions, I'm on my own their. Anyone else have Macy stories??? Just wondering.

I get great service at the Macy's closest to my home. Salespeople are friendly and helpful. I shop there a lot, and I've gotten to know the staff in some departments (like INC!).

There are times, when they're crowded, that it's harder to get help. But generally, I would say the service is fine. And the sales are amazing.

I do think that service is more personalized at smaller stores (Talbot's, Ann Taylor, CC, etc.).

I'm not a person who likes to be followed around or "over-helped." Normally, I just want friendly service at check-out time, and no hassles over returns.

Occasional Contributor

Heck, I do a lot of my shopping at our local Cato's, which obviously is not fancy at all, and they are always offering to take my stuff to the dressing room or help me find something or when you are in the dressing room and need a different size they are right on it.

Respected Contributor

A few years ago, I was working retail in a large dept. store. There was an incident in the juniors' dept dressing room. Some people had wadded up some new clothes, and then went to the bathroom all over them. Unbelievable, but true.

That also happened in the local JCP a few years ago. Given that they lose so much $ due to people shoplifting by taking things into dressing rooms then putting them into bags, I could never figure why they didn't have a minimum wage fitting room attendant, both to keep track of items (as even Ross, Marshall's, and others do) and to keep the fitting rooms neat.

Back when I made a lot of money and my stores of choice were Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf's, etc. it was expected that the saleswoman would get anything you wanted in whatever size you requested, or even make suggestions on coordinating items or different styles. It's not taking advantage of them, and a tip isn't necessary - they work on commission, and the more they're able to sell you the more money they make, so they'll do whatever is necessary in hopes of getting you to buy more.