Respected Contributor

She was at Nordstrom's Rack and SFA outlet which is entirely different than the ""regular"" Nordstroms and Saks.

Contributor
On 4/7/2014 Hoovermom said:

She was at Nordstrom's Rack and SFA outlet which is entirely different than the "regular" Nordstroms and Saks.

Maybe so, but at the two Nordie's Racks I frequent, the sales associates are very friendly and always offer assistance in the dressing rooms.
Respected Contributor
On 4/7/2014 nantucket shore said:

Of course, you are at Nordstom's, the clerks/fitting room attendants are "front and center" towards the customer. Yes, she went to get them.

The OP said she was at Nordstrom Rack, though Nd that is a different kind of shopping. A lot of time, I find especially in affluent areas shoppers tend not to understand what level of retail establishment they are in. They want high end service in mid market shops and chains. the business model is completely different and the lower prices are there, with less service factored in. Less service means fewer people to do that service, the. Along comes a customer who wants someone to hold their hand and be a personal shopper. They have to pay for that-somewhere else.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor
On 4/7/2014 Kjelle said:

Of course, you are at Nordstom's, the clerks/fitting room attendants are "front and center" towards the customer. Yes, she went to get them.

The OP said she was at Nordstrom Rack, though Nd that is a different kind of shopping. A lot of time, I find especially in affluent areas shoppers tend not to understand what level of retail establishment they are in. They want high end service in mid market shops and chains. the business model is completely different and the lower prices are there, with less service factored in. Less service means fewer people to do that service, the. Along comes a customer who wants someone to hold their hand and be a personal shopper. They have to pay for that-somewhere else.

You said it perfectly, it is a different kind of shopping.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2014 ennui1 said:

In nice stores, that's what the attendants do. It all starts with "Can I help you?"

I agree. It is a service they provide. I worked at Bambergers in the 80's and it was expected.
Honored Contributor

I usually decline help in the fitting room. If I'm not sure on the size, I bring in different sizes.

Valued Contributor
On 4/7/2014 Kjelle said:

You said it perfectly, it is a different kind of shopping.

I disagree. At the two Nordstrom Rack stores I've been to, there are floor walkers who go look for items for you in the back or research missing prices. They also offer to check you out using a handheld device and email the receipts to you. The excellent level of customer service and polite, well-mannered Rack employees is one of the reasons I periodically stop in the store. Genuine manners can't be faked.
Super Contributor

When I worked at a small local department store, our general manager told us that whatever we might be doing--folding or arranging items, restocking and straightening shelves or clothes on hangers,--not to forget who we were doing all this for; to stop and focus on the customers when they arrive. "Remember", he said, "the goal is to move that merchandise out the door!" To this day, I still can't resist fussing with the clothes when I shop, buttoning them, hanging them up--old habits die hard!

Honored Contributor

She probably used to frequent ""The 28 Shop""...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don't want a sales person bothering me when I'm trying on things. If I want another size, I'll ask, but don't bring me things I didn't request. I see it as intrusive and pushy.