Honored Contributor

Re: Are you ever too old for hair ribbons/bows?

I think you should wear what you feel comfortable with...maybe bows aren't your thing because you needed supporters from this site to influence your decision.I think the right bow could be great if you have the confidence to rock it.

Contributor

there is not old thing as long as you like it ! 

ribbons/bows ! what a beautiful memory! 

Honored Contributor

I think some hair accessories are too young and some are not.  I do wear some headbands, such as tortoise.  I wear some hair clasps but stick to kind of basic ones.  I have tied my long hair back with a plain ribbon, but nothing too cutesy.  Nothing wrong with hair accessories but just have to watch that they are not too big, bright or flashy when wearing to work, especially.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Hair ribbons and bows are for kids, not women.

I would feel silly wearing something like that.

Respected Contributor

I don't like bows in the hair so for me if you are over 8-10 years old it is a no go.  But that is just me.  Do what makes you feel and look stylish.

Esteemed Contributor

I think hair jewelry, combs & all else looks good on any age, but, big ribbons & bows ala Shirley Temple? It seems to me it would emphasis one's age.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I think grosgrain would be pretty!!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

This morning I have my silver hair tied back in a short pony tail  with a tiny grosgrain ribbon.

Respected Contributor

My immediate answer is yes, but I suppose there are exceptions and as has been stated if you feel confident with it -- go for it . I wear combs to hold my hair out of my face when wearing a protective hat (sun) when gardening , but that is about it. Of course my hair is short - medium. I see where someone with longer hair may need to tie it back sometimes and a ribbon could work.

The last time I have seen a grown woman wearing a bow was at a baby shower (I did not host) with a paper plate hat on the going to be mother with all of the wrapping ribbons on it for a keepsake picture / FB?? Oh well that has to be better than the game where someone guesses the mom to be's waistline for a cheezy gift! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

A hair ribbon tied in a bow?  I think that is too young.  Actually, I don't care for any hair bows on a woman.

I have seen wide ribbon worn more as a headband and scarves in the hair to pull the hair back and I really like that look.  But no.  No bows on a grown adults' head. 

Respected Contributor

I am sooooooooo tired of women asking if they are too old for this and too old for that.  Why are women so obsessed with age?  I've never heard a man ask if he's too old to wear a particular tie or shirt.  This is about hair ornaments and age is irrelevant.  If you want to wear a bow on your ponytail, wear a bow on your ponytail.  Just make sure the bow isn't childish, cartoonish and that it coordinates with your outfit and activities for that day.  For example, if it's the weekend and you are out and about in casual wear, a narrow scarf makes a geat hair bow for a high ponytail.  If you are going to work, a black velvet bow that is not too large would be more a appropriate.