Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are they called.. pocketbooks, purses, handbags?

Thanks, very interesting responses. When I write about THEM I never now how to call them. I am in north central western Maryland and we argue around here if we are central or western. We are 65 miles west of Baltimore and 65 miles north of DC. So it is what you want to call it when you live here, I guess. And I have heard all the names listed.

I posted just because I was not only curious but I wanted to be more accurate in my descriptions. I really rarely carry them. I like pockets and or vests. First time I ever wore a vest it was from a sporting goods store and in the mens department... lots of pockets. Those who saw me around here would ask... hopefully joking... WHERE IS THE SQUIRREL. The back pocket apparently was for the KILL. It was a hunters vest. I don't do THAT kind of storing but those deep pockets sure come in handy and flying from the airport and going through security they are far easier to handle... just slip it off and put it on the belt with little worry that I will forget or lose it.

Respected Contributor

I say purse. I am originally from NY but am in VA now.

Trusted Contributor

I carry a purse.

Respected Contributor

I say pocketbook but my daughter says purse. She is 26 and will say I bought a new purse today. I think that sounds more old fashioned than pocketbook. My mother always says pocketbook also. We all were born and live in New England, not sure where daughter pick up that word. I think it's cute though. To me a purse is a little thing without straps that you would carry to a nice dinner or wedding. Call it whatever you want, it doesn't really matter.

Occasional Contributor

purse

Respected Contributor

I have called them all three. It's whatever you want to call them. It's allowed to have more than one name for an object. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Pocketbook is the way bags and purses were referred to when I was a little girl in the 50s and 60s.

Whatever happened to handbag and shoulderbag?

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2015 athenian said: Re Sunshine45: this is OT but does anyone call the grocery store bag a ""sack""?

not me......i dont hear anyone calling a bag from the grocery store a sack. most of the time when i think if a sack i think of a sack of flour or a burlap sack. maybe others use that term?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

I say pocketbook.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/22/2015 MarthaStewardess said:

Personally, I hate the term pocketbook. To me, they are bags or purses. LOL, oh, and I carry my bag. I don't wear it.

Yes! I carry my purse too, I would never say I wear it. The first (and only) place I've heard that term was on QVC. I asked a few friends if they carry or wear their purse, and they all said carry.