Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are there fashion trends you won't follow?

The sleeveless dress look without some kind of shrug or jacket to go with it. I do not want to put my upper arms on display.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I like a straight, slight hi-low, or smile hemline on a top, but asymmetrical makes me look like I must have gotten my hem caught when dressing, and shark-bite emphasizes my rear view "largess" while giving the impression my hips are even wider than usual.

Eyewear is often unavailable in flattering shapes for me. The fashionable trend of rectangular frames seemed to stay in style forever!

Likewise, hairstyles become "fashionable", and some stylists cut variations of the same trendy hairstyle on head after head after head.

Actually, @x Hedge, there are only five basic haircuts and all others stem from these.

I used to go to a Italian stylist named Mario who gave the best haircut I ever saw. I'm sure he used one of the basic five cuts, but the variations were all unique to each individual face shape.

Young stylists only care about the cut and most never even pay attention to the clients face for uniqueness.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

If the trends don't suit me, I try to make some sort of "adjustment" to just be current. For instance, I won't wear the voluminous tunics, but I'll wear jean jeggings with a smooth longer sweater. I have not bought one of the long, roomy tunics.

That's OK, though. I've seen trends come and go, and I'm patient, with the feeling "this too shall pass," and the next trend might be exactly for me.

@febe1Good ideas!  If I'm not wearing it, I just don't like it at all. If I feel it has no longevity, I'll let it pass.

Like you, @ECBG, I'm not making any kind of investment in trends. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

If the trends don't suit me, I try to make some sort of "adjustment" to just be current. For instance, I won't wear the voluminous tunics, but I'll wear jean jeggings with a smooth longer sweater. I have not bought one of the long, roomy tunics.

That's OK, though. I've seen trends come and go, and I'm patient, with the feeling "this too shall pass," and the next trend might be exactly for me.

@febe1Good ideas!  If I'm not wearing it, I just don't like it at all. If I feel it has no longevity, I'll let it pass.

Like you, @ECBG, I'm not making any kind of investment in trends. Smiley Happy

@febe1,I don't buy Ikat because there isn't enough variety frome one item to the next.  Every piece appears to be over done.

Honored Contributor

Trends come and go and come back again. I have seen that in my 50+ years. I wore it all back when I was younger. Now I stick to classic pieces. 

Here is my list of things I won't wear: 

Leggings, jeggings, yoga pants, stretch pants 

Low cut, super short, or super tight anything

Mid calf or maxi dresses and skirts 

Ripped jeans

Open toe booties (They are everywhere) 

Asymmetrical jackets or hems

Cold shoulder tops

Camo anything

I probably forgot something, but these came to mind immediately. I know others love the things in my list which is all good. Live and let live. We don't have to all dress the same. 

Esteemed Contributor

Another holiday trend that I won't wear is the ugly holiday sweater. I know it started on college campus Christmas get-togethers as a joke about 5 years ago and it has moved mainstream (the fun was scrounging a thrift store for the ugliest one you could find as that's what my daughter did) but I dislike this fad.

Honored Contributor

These:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

I don't like shark bite hems and never cared for the cold shoulder look, though I do love off-the-shoulder !

Esteemed Contributor

Sooooo many!  My biggest "NO" is ripped jeans, or jeans with bleach stains or paint stains on purpose.  Seriously????   And they're so expensive. 

Yoga pants when you're not in yoga class.  (if I gave my reasons why, I'd offend a few ladies, so I'll quit typing)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I just can't get my head around the LOGO stuff. On AM style this morning, there was a top that had all this stuff around the back and sides and then stuff underneath it too. Too much volume around the hips and butt, for my liking. Same with sharbite and not a fan of cold shoulder either.