Honored Contributor

Are shrugs still going to be in style this year?

I have some sleeveless summer dresses that I like but as I lose weight - despite exercising to prevent this - I'm losing in my upper arms and they are getting flabby. I need to wear something with my sleeveless dresses to cover my arms so I just ordered a pretty crochet shrug from Liz clairborn in black. I already have a crocet short sleeve sweater in white so I figure between those 2 colors I can cover all my dresses. Actually, i suppose weather or not they are "in" this summer they will look better than my flabby arms.
Honored Contributor

Re: Are shrugs still going to be in style this year?

Personally I've never have seen shrugs worn by anyone or ever knew they were supposedly ""in style"". Good luck and enjoy yours.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I am not going by "in or out."

I have quite the stash of shrugs- as I found a fabulous sale on particular styles that I loved and I decided I needed quite a variety of colors{#emotions_dlg.blush}. I will be wearing mine.Wink

If you feel more comfortable wearing them, that is what matters.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Super Contributor

I'm not going by "in" or "out", either. I have several sleeveless dresses that I love to wear to work, but I'm not comfortable with bare arms. I have shrugs in three colors (navy, white, emerald green) that offer just enough coverage.

My shrugs are short-sleeve cropped open front cardigans, not the cocoon style I've also seen.

Honored Contributor

I don't like short shrugs, but I did see longer, shrug-like sweaters in the new Chico's catalog. More like a cardigan without buttons and none of those long tails that were ubiquitous for the last few years. Just what I need to cover my ugly upper arms.

Respected Contributor

I just got my spring WomanWithin catalog, shrugs are still in there. Actually, there are longer versions. Most of the tops in WW are LONG tunic/bohemiam style. ALOT of embroidery, gauze, & crochet tops.

I hope this doesn't post more than 1x. I tried to post earlier & got site maintence msg.

Honored Contributor

I received what I think might be a shrug as a gift. I'm short-waisted so it is longer than meant to be on me; it falls just above my waist. It is shorter than a cropped top.

It is a Chico's lightweight, short-sleeved sweater in a peach shade. It is open & has an even hem but there is a tie at the bottom opening. The ties were knotted when I got it.

I haven't worn it yet, not sure what I'd wear under it since it is sheer enough to see whatever is worn underneath.

Honored Contributor

If your arms are getting flabby, then by all means cover up them with a shrug. You will need to do weight training exercises with hand weights to tone those muscles up. If it doesn't work, and you are still unhappy, then you might opt for surgery to tighten the arms up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

I love my shrugs! - I have all kinds in different colors - they are in for me!

Super Contributor

On 2/25/2014 JustJazzmom said:

If your arms are getting flabby, then by all means cover up them with a shrug. You will need to do weight training exercises with hand weights to tone those muscles up. If it doesn't work, and you are still unhappy, then you might opt for surgery to tighten the arms up.

Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of dieting the wrong way, if someone has signicant weight to lose, results in "flab", excess skin which is extremely difficult to rectify. Losing weight the wrong way results in loss of muscle, threfore extra skin/flab is prevelant...instead the idea is to not lose muscle rather build muscle. Muscle burns fat. This is the style of shrug I love to wear for my body type below. Love shrugs and have several I love!
Photo is loading