Honored Contributor

Re: Are jeans on the way out?

@Constance2 wrote:

I read an article yesterday that stated that jeans are rapidly losing their appeal.  Many women have switched to wearing yoga pants because of their comfort level.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to switch as yoga pants do not look that great on everybody, self included.

Sales of jeans in the U.S. fell 6% to $16 billion during the year that ended in June, according to market research firm NPD Group, while sales of yoga pants and other "active wear" climbed 7% to $33.6 billion.

If jeans are on the way out, someone had better tell Diane Gilman, because she's made a fortune by selling them.

Will you keep your old standby jeans or make the switch to yoga pants?

Since no article link was provided, I looked for a few and found lots of articles on this subject, none of which are very recent.  

Links are below.  The first two refute the study (the more recent NFD study says millennials are reverting back to denim), and the third is about the NFD study about the decline of denim.

I think jeans and yoga pants serve different purposes.  Why not have both in your wardrobe?

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/2015/denim-industry-encouraged-by-millenni...

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a29710/is-denim-going-out-of-fashion/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/06/jeans-face-an-uncertain-future-amid-yoga-wea...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Styles can be fickle, true, but I don't see jeans on the way out.  There is a whole age level of us that went through college wearing jeans.  Jeans have even been adapted to have inset seam pockets and elastic waists.  The dressy black jean, white shirt, blazer, and boots is now a classic.

Valued Contributor

I don't see jeans losing their appeal.  I think any decrease in sales of jeans lately can be attributed to the obesity epidemic and Americans' expanding waistlines.  There are more knit jeans on the market these days.  I am a big fan of the DreamJeannes, but I only buy the ones that look the most like "real" jeans.  I absolutely have to have pockets front and back!  Sweatpants and such are great for around the house, but I don't wear them in public!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love both.  At home though, yoga/leggings all the way.  I can't seem to wear jeans at home and be comfortable. 

I agree, there has been a shift away from jeans but I don't think they are going anywhere. I do wish they would make a mid/low rise that doesn't move halfway down your butt when you bend down. 

Valued Contributor

I hate this notion that jeans are losing their appeal and no longer the staple they once were.  Yoga pants or leggings, whatever you want to call them, have their time and place for SOME women.  BUT not everyone can pull off the look of leggings/yoga pants. And this includes ME!  It is nothing I would wear except to a gym or at home, and even then, it's not flattering for my body type.  This is something that has been long forgotten by the mass producers of these and the endless stores popping up such as Lulemon, Athleta, Lorna Jane etc, and by individuals who simply will not look in a full length mirror and concede that they cannot wear what we've been told we must!  Why does everyone think they have to wear the "fad" rather than what they look best in, or what they feel best in.  We should be proud of our individuality and embrace it, create your own identity and look!

Honored Contributor

Jeans aren't going anywhere IMO. It is true that the lounge wear trend is replacing jeans in lots of casual settings right now, but I don't think jeans will ever go away. I do not own yoga pants, and if I did I wouldn't wear them in public. The ones I see tend to be tight and remind me of boot cut leggings (another item I don't own). I will continue to wear my jeans for casual days, and yes, some of them are tight fitting. It may not make sense to anyone else, but I would rather wear a tight jean than a tight knit pant any day.  I don't like tight knit pants of any variety.

Super Contributor

Homegirl, There are two news stories from One and two days.ago you can find if you do a Google search. I can't give a link since I'm posting from my cellphone. Sorry.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

@Constance2 wrote:

I read an article yesterday that stated that jeans are rapidly losing their appeal.

linkplease.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think jeans will ever go out of style.They have their place!!  I think right now the trend is leggings and dresses (mini to maxi).  That said, it was a hot summer, so of course dresses were everywhere, and shorts.  I wear skirts, and avoid jeans, although I have a drawer full of gray, demim and black jeans.  When it gets cool, they will be rolled out!

I was in BH not too long ago where trend is high.  Shorts and dresses were everywhere, even on the young girls.  I haven't seen this many dresses since 1971!  No kidding. When I saw pants, it seemed they were leggings, or jeggings and long flowy tops.  Tights and knee socks are in.  New trend for the young is tall boots, a tunic, short dress. with tights

When you get down to it. a dress or skirt  is easier to fit than jeans.  When we get into cold weather, pants will be back.  I think.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wear yoga pants very often around the house as they are all black and pet fur magnets. For the same reason I don't wear black jeans or some dark wash jeans at home either...as the material attracts pet fur and I have 3 light colored pets.

I prefer wearing skinny jeans most of the time.  Maybe people are not buying jeans as much because they already have a lot of pairs of jeans.

Maybe they are upcycling their jeans too. I turned one pair of Style & Co dark gray bootcut jeans into skinny jeans after watching a few youtube videos and reading how to do it.

I also turned a pair of gray straight leg jeans that were too long into boyfriend jeans. I shortened them but thought they looked average. So I rolled up the botton into cuffs and made them into boyfriend jeans. I wore them like that for a couple of months then decided to do a DIY distressing on the legs after reading how to do it and using my store bought distressed jeans as a guideline.

I've also remade some jeans into capri jeans just by cutting them shorter and rehemming them. I have one pair that I haven't bothered to hem yet so I rolled up the cuffs instead.

I have other plain bootcut jeans that I don't plan to wear as bootcut jeans but since they fit well on the waist and hips I'm going to eventually turn them into skinny jeans or capri jeans too.