Super Contributor

Are jeans on the way out?

[ Edited ]

I read an article yesterday that stated that jeans are rapidly losing their appeal.  Many women have switched to wearing yoga pants because of their comfort level.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to switch as yoga pants do not look that great on everybody, self included.

Sales of jeans in the U.S. fell 6% to $16 billion during the year that ended in June, according to market research firm NPD Group, while sales of yoga pants and other "active wear" climbed 7% to $33.6 billion.

If jeans are on the way out, someone had better tell Diane Gilman, because she's made a fortune by selling them.

Will you keep your old standby jeans or make the switch to yoga pants?

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

Re: Are jeans on the way out?

I will never wear yoga pants.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think jeans are going anywhere, ever.  

Esteemed Contributor

They'll be prying my dark wash skinny jeans from my cold, dead hands.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No yoga pants for me, I'm perfectly comfortable in my jeans and plan to continue wearing them. Personally I'm tired of seeing everyone wearing stretchy knit clothing everywhere. There is a time and place for yoga pants (the gym or home relaxing), just my opinion.

"To each their own, in all things".
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I will never switch to yoga pants until I'm ready for the nursing home and need easy on-easy off bottoms and I'm sitting most of the day in my chair instead of walking around to go and do.

Even as I was typing that first paragrph, an image of a young woman wearing heather blue yoga pants came to mind.  She was in my doctor's waiting in yoga pants that showed every one of her pounds; looking at her reminded me that even though I've lost weight recently, I need to stay on a good eating plan.  She didn't seem uneasy at all, but I can imagine a picture of her on the Internet as a no-no.  Nice jeans could have camouflaged a lot -  yogas, never.

Honored Contributor

I sure hope not! I live in jeans. They're more "forgiving" than yoga pants or leggings. There's a place for those at the gym. And l like pants to have pockets. So l won't be jumping on any bandwagons anytime soon!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I can't see jeans ever going out.... they've been around forever for workers who work in the field, mine, ranch, etc.  The heavy material is just too practical to not use.....

I also can't forsee jeans losing their "Chic" appeal, but they have off and on over the years as designers bring in other looks.  But back they come again and that's what I think will happen and perhaps that's what the article is inferring.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I have bought a couple of pairs of Denim $ co terry knit pants and they are very comfortable.  ut I still love my bootcut jeans. Bootcuts are harder to find but still my preference.

Honored Contributor

Maybe some so called fashion experts might just want to sell their yoga type wear because they are cheaper and easier to make but today's jeans are way more comfortable and better looking.  I like and wear yoga pants at home but for me they are not as nice looking and to get a really good pair that won't peel and stretch out or rip they are just too expensive.  I pay at least $59  for those I buy to stay at home.