Honored Contributor

Re: Are dye warnings normal in fashion these days?

@noodleann    I have a lot of Martha's clothing, both many jeans and shirts and sweaters.  I find them to be very nice quality and have never had a garment bleed onto another piece of clothing.  IMO the quality surpasses that of Joan Rivers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@noodleann    I have a lot of Martha's clothing, both many jeans and shirts and sweaters.  I find them to be very nice quality and have never had a garment bleed onto another piece of clothing.  IMO the quality surpasses that of Joan Rivers.

That's the other brand I've bought happily from QVC, Joan Rivers. I agree about quality points. That's why this hangtag with the dye warning really threw me for a loop.

The clothing is one thing, but for Martha's garden stuff, check first to see if Sun Joe is making something similar, but probably not in the lovely Martha colors. You can save a bundle. There's an eBay seller who's an outlet for the Sun/Snow Joe products, and he also carries some of Martha's garden tools and has had great prices on the Nisaku tools from Japan, which I like. 

Honored Contributor

Ladies, there are some rich dyes.  Manufacturers don't want you to sit on light upholstery or wear a white jacket with the garment before you wash it.  The transference may be only slight, but they could still get sued.  They're covering all of their bases.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann 

Thst kind of warning is not new. They’ve been around for many years - and should have been before that. I’m glad they add them now so people are extra careful. It is really just a warning to wash before wearing it.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Will that really do it, @suzyQ3 ? I wanted this shirt for working out because it's loose. I'd like to be able to use it. If you think the washing will work, I'll try it. I have Color Catcher and another thing I think was called Dye Magnet, looks like a washcloth. I'll throw both in the tub and thank you in advance for the advice. I am really last century when it comes to clothing.

@noodleann, with the first wash, I usually throw in three Color Catcher sheets. And as I said, on occasion I've had to repeat (with fewer sheets) the process up to six times before the sheet came out clear. Remember, cold water. And obviously don't put it in the dryer until the color remover has worked.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Will that really do it, @suzyQ3 ? I wanted this shirt for working out because it's loose. I'd like to be able to use it. If you think the washing will work, I'll try it. I have Color Catcher and another thing I think was called Dye Magnet, looks like a washcloth. I'll throw both in the tub and thank you in advance for the advice. I am really last century when it comes to clothing.

@noodleann, with the first wash, I usually throw in three Color Catcher sheets. And as I said, on occasion I've had to repeat (with fewer sheets) the process up to six times before the sheet came out clear. Remember, cold water. And obviously don't put it in the dryer until the color remover has worked.

Gotcha, @suzyQ3 . I'll put Color Catcher on my big shopping list, because this might wipe out my stash. I only wash in cold water unless something requires warm or hot, and I never put tops or pants in the dryer, always line dry, so that's a given. But I go back to what I said originally, the manufacturers haven't finished prepping these fabrics for production, if there's this much dye to try out of the garment on the buyer's end. But never mind that, I'm very grateful for the advice that allows me to keep the shirt. Thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

Those warnings have also appeared on handbags, which keep me from buying the handbag. I don't want color transfer onto my clothing
That tag appeared on a Kestenberg bag one I got from QVC and I sent it right back.