Respected Contributor

Are dye warnings normal in fashion these days?

I just received a Martha Stewart Chambray Blouse in Medium Indigo. Through the plastic I can read a hangtag that says:

"The deep rich color of this product is achieved by using special dyes. The dyes may transfer to other fabrics or upholstery when product is used or launderred. Wash this product separately or with like colors. Exercise care when this product is in contact with light colored surfaces."

I ordered this online and don't know if the presentation included any warnings about the dye. The care only says "machine wash, tumble dry," not "wash separately," and there is no warning about dye transfer, or I'd never have bought it.

I had an experience with a wool sweater I got from B. Altman in the '80s that had fugitive dye. When I took it off, my whole torso and bra were green. Since I'm a "light colored surface," I'm assuming the dye in this shirt could also transfer to my body. Who knows what's in it? So I'm returning the shirt unopened and will be requesting a refund of all costs, including shipping, because it's not fit for purpose and they failed to disclose this problem pre-purchase.

I'm posting here because I'm wondering if this is now normal in the fashion world. Anyone see similar warnings on garments?

Super Contributor

Re: Are dye warnings normal in fashion these days?

I have found the same thing too lately!  Just yesterday I saw a printed t-shirt that had warnings about color transfer and washing separately.  My daughter had a few shirts like that (didn't know before she got them) and they were a mess.  First the color transferred, then they would fade in the wash.  I avoid buying anything like that now.

Honored Contributor

@busymom22   Yes, it's not unusual to see such warnings on items with indigio dyes.  They often transfer color until they've been washed a couple times and excess dye washed away.  I had this happen with a new pair of jeans which ruined a white silicone watch band.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

been like that for a few years

dark deninm can transfer the color

it's not new, or more companies are doing so

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall seeing tags on clothes going back lots of years ... almost always on blue dyes.  

Generally the instructions were to wash before wearing.

-------------------------------------

ETA ... for the last year or so, I've been in the habit of washing everything I order before I wear it.  Tops - I'll just do by hand in the bathroom sink.  It's shocking when you see how "dirty" the clothes are!  

I can't imagine what how dirty is the stuff (pants) that I put in the washing machine.

Respected Contributor

Times, they are changing!  I recently bought  a red pullover and it faded on my bra turning it pink and breaking me out where it touched my skin.  I pulled the top off of my deodorant and it fell in the floor and when I picked it back up it had a warning to check with your doctor before use  if you have kidney disease.   WHAT?????????

Honored Contributor

I received the same tag on my black Logo denim jacket.  I had not seen that before.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all of your responses. Obviously, I don't buy clothing that often. The problem with this tag is that it didn't indicate that washing would remedy the problem. This should have been disclosed in the listing. You would never want to wear anything like this with light-colored pants, yet the model in the presentation video is wearing khakis.

Don't know what's up with the Martha Stewart brand. Her gardening stuff seems to be run through Sun/Snow Joe, and I have no idea who's doing her clothing now. I guess I better stick with Joan Rivers. People pitch hissy fits about unmatched plaids on her shirts, but not much worse than that. Haven't read anyone saying a top has turned them blue.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann, here's the solution: Whenever you see a tag like that or whenever you buy denim or even items that are very dark, wash before wearing in cold water with two or three Shout Color Catchers sheets. If you see color on the repeat until you don't see much or any color at all. Works like a dream.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Will that really do it, @suzyQ3 ? I wanted this shirt for working out because it's loose. I'd like to be able to use it. If you think the washing will work, I'll try it. I have Color Catcher and another thing I think was called Dye Magnet, looks like a washcloth. I'll throw both in the tub and thank you in advance for the advice. I am really last century when it comes to clothing.