Honored Contributor

Re: Are contact lenses losing popularity?

I wore contacts for a short time when I was younger, but always had issues with them.  For me they weren't worth the trouble.

I don't mind wearing glasses, and I now have a glasses wardrobe.  It's fun to change it up.

Trusted Contributor

What I do notice is that when threads are started prefaced with a comment of "out of fashion" or "no longer popular" invariably, it is a poster that wishes to reinforce what they are doing is somehow on the cusp of "new and improved" behavior. Be that as it may, California has a law that requires the manufacturer of some plastic items  to list them as potentially hazardous. It is called Proposition 65 whereby hazardous chemicals if .found in plastic must be labeled and identified as a warning to consumers. Most frames are plastic and thereby must be labeled if containing said chemicals.

Honored Contributor

I've been wearing progressive lenses for about 10 years.  Never thought of getting contacts.  The idea of putting something in my eyes makes me cringe.  My glasses are very lightweight--sometimes I forget I'm wearing them.  The only thing that bothers me is they get dirty quickly.  Makes me wonder what I'm breathing in.

Honored Contributor

I just googled and read that most contact lenses are a form of plastic and flushing disposable lenses is adding to plastic pollution issue. Fr
Esteemed Contributor

Though my glasses are fitted with Transitions lenses (change light to dark depending on light - LOVE THEM), I would never give up the Oakleys for the contact lens days.  That was one of the best things about going to contacts, for me.  Fun shades!

Plus, I had to, since I was a fitness instructor at the time.  I can't exercise strenuously or do hard work comfortably with glasses for vision.  Sport sunglasses work well, though.

I have astigmatism in both eyes and wear the dailies.  Used to wear hard lenses.  What an advancement.  No solution, can't even feel them in.  Throw away at end of day.

I'm glad to see fashion stereotypes loosen up.  Nerd glasses are now cool.  Lenses and frames are lighter than ever and I have invisible trifocals.  No one has to know!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not with me they aren't.  I absolutely, 100% detest glasses.  I was diagnosed with a viral eye infection in both my eyes.  I have had to wear my glasses for about 2 weeks now.  I went for a follow-up with my eye doctor this morning and I have to go another week letting this heal.   I'm miserable.

I do have to wear reading glasses even with my contacts because as of about 2 years ago, I began losing my close-up vision.  I tried mono vision lenses and could never get used to them.  It's really not an issue for me to pop a pair of readers on. 

I think some people wear glasses as a fashion statement and don't need any corrective lenses at all.  I know a few people who do that.  Some just don't want to put eye make-up on and glasses hide that more easily.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I just googled and read that most contact lenses are a form of plastic and flushing disposable lenses is adding to plastic pollution issue. Fr

I don't flush my contacts and never have.  I toss them in the trash.  I didn't know people actually flushed them or put them down the drain.  It wouldn't dawn on me to do that.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

People who are near sighted wear contact lenses very well. As they get older, the contact lens do not allow them to see up close.  They can't read or do small work with their contact lenses in, but they can see at a distance.

If they wear glasses, they can just remove the glasses to read...at least for a while until they need readers.

Then they  can either get bifocals or wear mono contact lenses.  Some people don't adjust well to mono lenses, so glasses are the better choice for them.

Contact lenses aren't going anywhere, there are always young people eager to wear them. My 13 year old, blind as a bat granddaughter just got contacts and her mother had to give up her contact lenses for bifocals. She could not adjust to mono lenses or bifocal contact lenses.

This is where I am at now...been in mono vision prescription contact lenses for several yrs.  It works out great...for now.  I started needing glasses at 14 and as soon as I could pay for my 1st pair of contacts at 16 I did!  I only wear glasses in the evening after I have washed face and removed contacts for the night.  Never liked glasses...the weight of the heavy lenses on my nose...after awhile is just painful.  No thanks!  

Respected Contributor

I'm 64 and have been wearing contacts since I was 17.  I don't wear them all the time, it's probably 50/50 between my contacts and glasses. I'm lucky I can still wear them I know many people have told me as they've gotten older they couldn't wear contacts anymore.  

Respected Contributor

Not in this household. We definitely prefer to wear contacts unless at home lounging.