Respected Contributor

Re: Are contact lenses losing popularity?

@house_cat wrote:

When I went to school, glasses were often considered to be dorky and most of us didn't want to wear them.  Now I teach Middle School, and some of the kids wear faux glasses - lenses that have no prescription. They think it's cool.  Go figure.

I think that comes and goes as frames change. Some people did this back in the mid-to-late 80s. I wore glasses when I needed to see the blackboard in school, but I had a friend who wore glasses with non-prescription lenses for fashion.

Now that some companies make funky and fun frames that aren't terribly expensive, more people are wearing glasses, but I don't believe contacts are less popular. It's hard to tell because you don't even know when people are wearing them, you can only tell when people are wearing glasses or some colored contacts. I've known some people for years before I knew they wore contacts. 

Respected Contributor

I've been wearing contacts since I was fifteen or sixteen. I dread the day when I may not be able to wear them anymore. In my forties when I noticed I needed reading glasses, I went to monovision.  Just don't ask me to drive at night Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

After wearing contact lenses for nearly 40 years, I finally gave them up 10 years ago and wear now strictly glasses.  So glad I did and it was because of aging in how my eyes dried out so quickly and sheer laziness.  

And, I like my glass frames so it is a win-win for me.

Valued Contributor

I started wearing gas perm  contacts in 1985. The first  time the eye doctor placed them in my eye,he reminded me to breathe! It felt like an eyelash was across my eyes.I had to wear them an hour a day increasing the wearing time. Just when I got used to them,I went to Galveston and got a viral infection in both eyes from the salt air.So I had to start over.UGH. I wore them up to a few years ago until they were becoming uncomfortable.I switched to soft lenses.Much more comfortable but I could see better with the gas perms. Like putting a piece of saran wrap on your eye. I preferred the rigidness of the gas perms but softs are more comfortable. I don't need reading glasses so I have trouble reading small print when I wear my contacts.I have multi focal lenses to help out but they don't solve the trick. I can't read with my glasses on either. I switch to glasses in the evening.I buy the 2 pairs for $70 in  different colors to match my jewelry or outfits.That aspect  of glasses is fun but I won't give up my contacts.They sure have gotten more expensive over the years though.

Super Contributor

I've been wearing glasses since I was 10.  I wore contacts once because I was a bridesmaid at my sisters' wedding & being a bridezilla, she did not want me to wear my glasses.  I will never forget that it took me at least half hour just to get one contact on at the eye doctor.  When I was done, my hands were shaky, my nose was dripping & I was tired.  After the wedding I never wore the darn thing again.  

And I will not do that again for anyone.  If my glasses bother someone then don't invite me.  

Respected Contributor

NOT WITH ME! Contacts are the greatest invention, and I feel so much better when I'm wearing them.

Respected Contributor

I would wear contacts for going out or when I was at the beach so I could wear my sunglasses.  I need astigmatism contacts for my right eye and those are very expensive. Last time I purchased them, it was over $200 and that was with vision insurance. So it's not something I purchase regularly. I have a pair of prescription sunglasses as well as the sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses, so contacts are not a necessity. 

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

NOT WITH ME! Contacts are the greatest invention, and I feel so uch better when I'm wearing them.

@insomniac2  ITA!  I only wear my glasses at night when I take my contacts out to watch tv.  It would drive me nuts to have to wear glasses all day especially when it hot out and sliding down my nose.