Trusted Contributor

Are bell sleeves out of fashion now?

I am taking out all of my spring/summer clothes and making the semi-annual switch of my wardrobe and I came across a Denim & Co. gauze top with 3/4th sleeves with bell sleeve detail. 

I haven't seen anyone wearing this sleeve style in some time. Are they out of fashion now? Would I look out of place wearing it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are bell sleeves out of fashion now?

You should wear what you feel comfortable in.

I am in fashion and bell sleeves fell out of their brief popularity when ladies noticed they ended at the stomach-upper hip area and added visual width.

You could wear the top under a linen shirt or something similar if you don't feel comfortable in the style.

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Lover I think you should wear whatever YOU want. Not what "fashion" dictates. If you like it, and I assume you do since you bought it, go for it. I personally do not like 3/4 sleeves, especially bell sleeves. However, if I saw you wearing it 
I wouln't think twice about it and definitely would not think "she's wearing out of style fashion". I believe we each can wear anything we want, it's how we carry ourselves in our attire. I say go for it and don't give a hoot what others think.

Respected Contributor

Definitely wear whatever you want!  I never got into the bell sleeve "moment" because I type at a computer keyboard all day, AND wash my hands frequently.  Neither of those activities are easy when wearing bell sleeves. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

I am taking out all of my spring/summer clothes and making the semi-annual switch of my wardrobe and I came across a Denim & Co. gauze top with 3/4th sleeves with bell sleeve detail. 

I haven't seen anyone wearing this sleeve style in some time. Are they out of fashion now? Would I look out of place wearing it?

No, they are not. The bell sleeve has been around since Medieval times, in many variations. There are many interesting articles online about it.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

They aren't a big trend anymore.  In fact the trend didn't last long.  But, I don't buy trends.  If I like somethng, that's what I buy.  I bought one Ralph Lauren body conscious dress that happens to have a bell sleeve and I will continue to wear it.  I didn't buy it because it had a bell sleeve.  I bought it because I liked the fit, it just happened to have bell sleeves.  My only complaint about the bell sleeves are that they tend to cut into my arms where they are attached to the sleeve.  Also, there are different sizes of bell sleeves.  I would have never bought the oversized ones.  Those are the garments that are hard to wear once the trend is over.

Esteemed Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@Squirrel Lover  It's ironic you asked this question today.  I have a D&C gauze top with 3/4 sleeves with bell sleeve detail.  The bell detail is attached by a crochet detail.  I cut it off this am and now have a short sleeve top.  It was too tight on my arm that's why it's gone, not because it's out of style.  I could care less about that.

Esteemed Contributor

IMO, as bell sleeves were a trend, as was cold shoulder detail, they both look dated now.

That said, wear whatever clothes you like. Best not to go too trendy. 

Next to go will be the over-saturated use of everything tie-dye.

Respected Contributor

i had one bell sleeve top which i now use for PJs top

Esteemed Contributor

Kind of.....I mean, if you like them, by all means, enjoy your top. I just don't see any new tops coming out with bell sleeves. Every time I eat with a top with bell swings, it always made a mess. But I still think they're very cute. Very dressy.