Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Ladies Calling For Faux Pockets & Fly Fronts?

Perhaps I'm out of the loop. I want zip front/real pockets. Hate elastic waist and faux pockets. Women have stuff to carry too. For dress pants, I still prefer the same, although when wearing dress pants I won't use the pockets, for those occasions I will have a handbag with me. Just through a "normal" day, zipping around town running to the market for a couple items, stopping at the nursery to buy plants, etc, (that type thing) I don't carry a handbag, instead I use a very small (think they used to call them)cigarette case that fits ID, debit card, insurance card, cash which slips right into my pocket so I am hands free. I love it. I started doing this after I retired, it's very freeing.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In jeans I want a real zipper and 5 pocket styling. In dress pants I prefer a side zip no pocket pant for a smooth look, but these aren’t easy to find. Besom back pockets on dress pants are ok. I rarely put anything in a pant pocket except maybe a tissue. I don’t like the bulk of stuff in a pocket but like the pocket styling on its own. Overall, I have more pants with pockets and zippers than without. 

Respected Contributor

I think when wearing a skinny and the reason you are going for a skinny look warrants the faux front pockets and zip, etc. for the best fit. When I wear what I consider my real jeans, then yes i want it all, nothing faux. LOL!

Honored Contributor

Absolutely not! I may be 57 but I still enjoy a real fly and real pockets on my pants!

I do find it interesting that the stretch pant with an elastic waist once had a somewhat negative connotation but is now very popular

Unfortunately, to me, an elastic waistband still says matronly 

Part of the reason we see so much of it on shopping channels is because they're easier to fit

Honored Contributor

I don't tuck my tops in, so a faux fly front works for me.  However, I don't loof for them.  I'm ok with the real fly front.  However, I do look for pants with faux pockets or no pockets.  I don't why women need pockets, we have handbags for our "stuff".  Pockets can add bulk, pockets are often visible through tops and if you use the pockets, the "lump" shows.  I don't like any of that.  If my pants, skirts, dresses come with pockets;  I'm careful about not ever using the pockets.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Not me.  I won't buy pants with a fly front and prefer pants without pockets, real or faux.  If there are pockets, I'll usually sew them closed and cut out the lining.

If there's a zipper, it has to be on the side, not the front.

Wow! I didn't even know manufacturers even made pants with a zipper on the side anymore! I thought those went out in the 50's! Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I don't tuck my tops in, so a faux fly front works for me.  However, I don't loof for them.  I'm ok with the real fly front.  However, I do look for pants with faux pockets or no pockets.  I don't why women need pockets, we have handbags for our "stuff".  Pockets can add bulk, pockets are often visible through tops and if you use the pockets, the "lump" shows.  I don't like any of that.  If my pants, skirts, dresses come with pockets;  I'm careful about not ever using the pockets.

@chrystaltree

I never use a handbag! So I need my pockets!

However, about the zipper...I just don't like the idea of a false zipper. If you make the pants pull on, then you wouldn't need faux at all! To me, that is extra bulk. Also, the idea of pull on is so that you can wear tops untucked. So that useless construction detail of a faux zipper is just that - useless!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tuck in and want to call attention to my back side. I consider it one of my finer attributes. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Real pockets are a very wanted item for myself , especially side seam pockets. If the garment is well made they do not add weight IMO. I can do without back pockets . I believe the only reason for those are to draw attention to the backside and it can work. I have never seen a female actually carry items in them..i cannot imagine sticking a cell phone or lip gloss back there. Functional pockets are a must have for me . For dressier occasions I do like a hollywood waist , but I have a pair of those that have a back zipper and well made side pockets that are not noticeable.

Hear, hear!  I LOVE and NEED real pockets, especially side pockets.  

I don't really understand the whole "pockets make me look lumpy" argument.  I've never had that issue.  Not when I was younger and slimmer and wore things tucked in, not back then when I wore things out, and not now when I prefer elastic waists.  And so what anyway?  Who thinks it's your body?  Are people that clueless that they think a pocket "bump" is part of the human anatomy?

Funny how the very term "elastic waist" makes it sound much worse than it really is.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I do not like faux pocket or faux fly fronts.  Prefer the real things.