Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone watching the OSCARS?

I'm not.  Sick of all the attention seeking, gift bags, clothing, jewels.  I happen to be flipping channels and came across a station showing a woment with four children who lived in some shack with a dirt floor, no food, clothing ripped and dirty, starving children that were crying, no shoes.  Each day she took them with her to a dump to dig through to find cans or bottles to trade for coins.  They also collected any clothing or food they could find.  It made me even more sick to see all the money involved in some award show.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Was watching with the sound off, finally gave up in favor of PBS. I did watch the red carpet show and enjoyed that.

I don't like Chris Rock and the dislike goes way back. I knew that a variety of people would inject politics into this broadcast, so that was another reason I wasn't keen. And the winners are chosen by Hollywood politics as well, so the "best man/woman" winning is rarely the case but who spent the most and wields the most clout.

I just don't care much any more. I grew up in this town and both my grandfather and my mother worked at the studios, from the silent era and the glamor era.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I am ambivalent about the message presented by Vice President Biden followed by the song by Lady Gaga. It was definitely moving, heart opening. But I keep going back to all the stories about Hollywood casting couches, beds. Isn't Hollywood historically as or more guilty of the crime as anyone? Or, is that the message they were trying to get across? I don't know.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I am ambivalent about the message presented by Vice President Biden followed by the song by Lady Gaga. It was definitely moving, heart opening. But I keep going back to all the stories about Hollywood casting couches, beds. Isn't Hollywood historically as or more guilty of the crime as anyone? Or, is that the message they were trying to get across? I don't know.

@MaggieMack  Great point about the casting couches. 

I disliked Biden's spiel and all the other political comments.  I've disliked them ever since I saw that native Amer. woman accept the Oscar for Marlon Brando who refused to go accept it and sent that woman to deliver a political message instead.   

An awards ceremony is not the time or place to bring up political issues.  It's always inapropriate IMO.  Esp. having the VP there giving a message; that realy injects too much politicals into the show.  It's just inappropriate and not what I tuned in to see and hear.

Esteemed Contributor

@lobstergal wrote:

I like Chris Rock and think he's very funny BUT I'm sad and disappointed that the entire opening of the Oscars had to be about racism. We get enough of it on a daily basis with all the madness going on in this country right now. I wish he should have rose above it for this one night and not given the Smith's or Spike Lee the time of day. No surprise that the political agenda started 15 minutes in....which IMO should not be allowed to happen at a nationally televised awards show.

I totally agree with you ... all his racist comments ruined the show ... he was looking for trouble ... ABC should not have allowed him to talk that way .... there is a time & place for everything & the awards was not the time or place.... I lost all respect for him!

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@lobstergal wrote:

I like Chris Rock and think he's very funny BUT I'm sad and disappointed that the entire opening of the Oscars had to be about racism. We get enough of it on a daily basis with all the madness going on in this country right now. I wish he should have rose above it for this one night and not given the Smith's or Spike Lee the time of day. No surprise that the political agenda started 15 minutes in....which IMO should not be allowed to happen at a nationally televised awards show.

I totally agree with you ... all his racist comments ruined the show ... he was looking for trouble ... ABC should not have allowed him to talk that way .... there is a time & place for everything & the awards was not the time or place.... I lost all respect for him!

I'm sure ABC was quite aware of what he was saying.  He had writers - it was a script - he was reading it off the teleprompter.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@lobstergal wrote:

I'm sure ABC was quite aware of what he was saying.  He had writers - it was a script - he was reading it off the teleprompter.  

I am standing behind what I wrote .... it should not have been allowed on the awards show .. I have no respect for him .... they seem to think that they should have gotten an Oscar nomination just because they appeared in a film regardless of the fact they they can't act!!!!! ... 

Honored Contributor

@lobstergal wrote:

@lobstergal***Great post!  I hope the backlash on this is great!

Esteemed Contributor

I watched. Was glad Leo and Brie won. Otherwise I disagree with most picks, after having seen every major movie but one. (Mad Max winning all those awards? That movie was horrible). And why dont they recognize the blockbuster movies such as Star Wars? Because its one big click. Anyway overall there were some good parts but alot of it it was a snooze fest. And the best host they ever had that made it cool was when Ellen hosted.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I thought it kind of fizzled out. I was left feeling, is this all it is? Never a big fan of DiCaprio's, less so now. I will read the Revenant instead of seeing it.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop