Frequent Contributor

Back in the day, I used to make all of my own clothes and made credible copies of expensive fashions at a fraction of the price. Today, fabric and notions have become so expensive that I'd find myself spending more than if I bought something ready-made. So my sewing now is limited to crafts projects. Still love to sew.

Trusted Contributor

Fun to read all your answers. I think the "I used to" group outnumbers the "yes" group. I'm not surprising.

I used to sew my clothes because it was so much less expensive than buying. When I could afford to buy things I liked, I stopped sewing. Now I have a lovely new Elfa to replace my 40-year old Singer, and am starting over, just to have things that really fit. 

I agree, buying fabric is much more difficult than it used to be, and much more expensive. And fabric is one of the things I find hard to buy online. Nice things available online, but you need to feel it...

Luckily, I continued to occasionally buy fabric even though I seldom sewed, and even after decluttering, I have quite a good stash. A sewing room would be heaven...

Respected Contributor

I haven't sewn for a long time so today I was going to make some Christmas items and I needed so me thread. So, I went to Joann's Fabrics and they now sell small  spools of thread 225 yds instead of the 400 yds I used to buy and it wasn't cheap. What the heck is going on with the thread? I tried to look on Coats and Clark and they do not have an on line site? I wanted to see if they do sell the 400yds still somewhere else. Boy, what a shocker!! And I didn't buy it.

Esteemed Contributor

I rarely sew but it's usually something like hemming jeans or turning long jeans into capri jeans. I do buy "Threads" magazine and "Vogue Patterns" magazine just because I like to read about the topic and look at fashion and the construction of a garment and those magazines also will occasionally have articles about the history of couture and designers.

Honored Contributor

I haven't made any clothing for years, but I made a custom shower curtain for our RV this past summer and some toss pillows.

I do hemming for my granddaughters, and repairs on clothing.  Everytime I get the sewing machine out, my husband magically finds a ton of clothes that he needs repaired.

When you are petite and have shorter and larger than average upper arms, you learn quickly how to alter clothing.  now that I am retired, I wear tops that have stretch and do not need altered. 

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama Coats and Clark is now Makeitcoats.com

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone still sew?

[ Edited ]

I sew occasionally.  I only have a Janome machine, not pricey, it’s gotta be at least 10 years old.  I  mainly use the machine to hem jeans and alter or adjust items. I just last week had to shorten some sleeves, and put some elastic in the them. It came out perfect.  

I have sewed a balloon curtain in the last year, with a valence, and it came out great! 

I love using the machine, it’s very relaxing and also a challenge....

Honored Contributor

I do on occasion....originally it was clothing, then moved on to quilting, I don't do much of either anymore.

I recall beautiful velvet dresses I sewed for my sisters kids at Christmas, many years ago.

This year I made a Ohio State pillowcase for my ggson.  I despise cutting fabric, the worst part of sewing for me.  I have trouble getting the grain straight and have read and viewed many articles about such...I would like hands on help!

Honored Contributor

I hate sewing, and I HATED home made clothes when I was growing  up.  My mom was considered very good at it but I hated wearing them.  My dad would give me money to buy store clothes. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you!! 

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@cuddlesmama Coats and Clark is now Makeitcoats.com