Esteemed Contributor

I used to sew alot!! Made my own wedding gown from a picture of one I loved. I've made curtains....bedspread ....throw pillows

Now it is mostly for my Granddaughter.....and clothing repairs...

I finally got my dream Sewing room with built-in cabinets and a cutting table....I really need to sew more.....I really enjoy it when I do

Honored Contributor

Same here used to sew a lot but no longer.  My mother was terrific.  She made my wedding gown.  She'd make extra money sewing for others.  I remember a sewing competition I entered while in high school.  Made something very easy.  A sleeveless top and skirt.  I remember the girl who won.  She actually made a coat.  It was for a scholarship.  Needless to say, I didn't even place anywhere near the top.  We had to model the clothes ourselves. 

Esteemed Contributor

I still sew, and get most of my fabrics from JoAnn. I enjoy making dresses/clothes for my grands!

Years ago I worked in Levin's fabric store. Now that was a fabric store! There were several fabric stores in my area from which to choose. All that's left now is JoAnn's. And what do they have? A couple of isles of fabric!

I've never purchased on-line.

Honored Contributor

@Harpawrote:

I still sew, and get most of my fabrics from JoAnn. I enjoy making dresses/clothes for my grands!

Years ago I worked in Levin's fabric store. Now that was a fabric store! There were several fabric stores in my area from which to choose. All that's left now is JoAnn's. And what do they have? A couple of isles of fabric!

That's wonderful!  Can you sew without patterns?  Can you create or design your own clothes?

Esteemed Contributor

@songbirdwrote:

@Harpawrote:

That's wonderful!  Can you sew without patterns?  Can you create or design your own clothes?

Let's just say, I altered many a pattern and many a design!

Honored Contributor

I used to sew a lot.  In the 80's and 90's I made quite a few clothes.  My favorites were always all the Vogue patterns.  I loved the designs.

Valued Contributor

I still sew! A couple of years ago I upgraded (from my 35 year old machine) and got a new one.  Wow what an improvement!  I made a dress a couple of years ago that was a little tricky because I had to alter it for my bust- turned out OK.  For Christmas I made really cute holiday aprons and matching potholders for women in my generation.  They just loved them!  Mostly I have done quilting projects on my new machine and dresses for my granddaughter.  I have made several floaty silk kimono jackets that turned out well.  I would like to sew more fitted things for myself but I need to take some pattern alternation courses on Craftsy because as a busty plus size (1X) allowances need to be made.  It's the pits to spend a lot of time sewing a nicely made garment and then have it look bad on you!  I have been working hard on losing weight.  One of my incentives is get some chic Vogue patterns on sale, fit myself properly and make some sophisticated outfits. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone still sew?

[ Edited ]

@Harpa

I agree that fabric stores of old were wonderfulI! 

I used to shop a department store in St. Louis that had an entire floor devoted to fabrics, notions and patterns.  It was heaven.

That store became Dillards, but, by then I think the fabric floor was already gone.

Before they went out of business, Hanover wasn't bad.  

I, too, shop Jo Ann for my fleece that I use to make blankets for Project Linus.  I do mostly online though.  They have a nice selection of fleece, but their pricing changes from week to week so you have to be careful.

There are other sources online for fleece, so I shop them now and again.  Since I'm only making blankets, that is the extent of my fabric shopping.  But I still enjoy looking at all the beautiful colors and prints!

I'll bet it was glorious working at a fabric store, although I never heard of Levin's.  They were places of beauty weren't they?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone still sew?

[ Edited ]

My mother sewed most of my clothing when I was growing up. 

Then, I took over when I learned.  I always had a love/hate relationship.  I wanted to sew Vogue, but sometimes, those patterns gave me a fit!

I got pretty good and even taught myself how to make bound buttonholes and some tailoring techniques.

Eventually, it got cheaper to buy clothing, and I just didn't have the time to devote to it.

Now, all I sew are fleece blankets for a group that gives them away to children/teenagers in need.  And, I recently bought a new Janome machine as my old Singer gave up.

I was never sorry I learned how to sew.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach

I just checked out Spoonflower, and I'm sure I've visited there before.

Things are lovely, but pricey. 

However, the concept of selecting a pattern/fabric is very unique.