Honored Contributor

Good for you keeping your hand in by sewing craft items, @TX-starlight  Even now I'm still only thinking about it.

(I used to fold the hems of too-long jeans under.  Maybe you do that, too.   It made it tricky to put them on, but once they were on, the fold-under hem pretty much stayed in place.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I've never been one who sews (sewer just looks bad!) but my daughter, who's 32, has been knitting, crocheting and sewing for what seems like her entire life! She recently picked up a pricey serger but the knitting machine she got almost makes me want to learn to use it! (still waiting on that sweater I ordered)

I do know how to knit and crochet.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone still sew?

[ Edited ]

I no longer sew but back in Junior High we had to take Home Economics. I sewed lots of things but remember buying double knit fabric at TG&Y. I made shift dresses from feed and flour sacks. I made my pink senior prom dress and orange 8th grade dress for a dance. I’ll post these dresses when I find the old pictures. I can mend and sew buttons if necessary.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBAwrote:

I haven't made anything for about 15 years.  

I have a very old Singer (all it does is sew straight stitch, doesn't even reverse).   It needs to be serviced and the belt replaced ... one of these days.

It's currently in the bottom of my coat closet. 

I could probably do it myself, now that I think about it.  Just change the belt and tighten the motor ... and oil the moving parts.

Responding to myself .....

It just occurred to me why I never bothered to get the machine serviced:  knit fabrics, and sheer woven fabrics.

I HATE to sew knits ... I don't even like to hem them so I take them to the tailor.

Sheer wovens are another problem ... very slippery, pins can snag and cause pulls.  Not worth the trouble.

I've been spending all my time knitting, crocheting and reading!

Honored Contributor

I love to sew. From hand embroidering to quilting to, on rare occasions, making clothes.I don't even mind mending and hemming. In my small town we have a very nice Joann's fabrics and our Walmart also has a good fabric/sewing dept.

I have a singer 20 stitch that DH bought used 27 years ago, and a Brother electronic machine a girlfriend gave me because she doesn't like it, plus a White serger. I have our guest room set up as my sewing room when we don't have company & I spend a lot of time in there.

Honored Contributor

I used to be a professional seamstress. I specialized in evening gowns and formal dresses mostly. Many of my customers had me design some things for them. It was so much fun. I miss it.

Honored Contributor

I used to do a lot of sewing, especially for my kids.  I have three sewing machines and a serger.  I rarely use anything but my Bernina these days, and it’s to do hemming and alterations only.

because I understand how garments are constructed, if I buy something that isn’t quite right for me, I know how to fix it.  And I do!  

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't sewn a thing since my 7th grade Home Ec teacher told me I had no talent for sewing! Talk about a put-down! I had to smile when someone here mentioned a bobbin on her sewing machine - I wonder how many young women have ever heard of a bobbin, let alone even seen a sewing machine!

Respected Contributor

I sew most of my dresses and tops . I have not being crazy about the styles last year and this year, so sewing has been a lifesaver for me. I like re using a couple favorite patterns with different fabrics.

Also I do a lot of home decor sewing...and designing.

Honored Contributor

When I was a newlywed and we didn't have two pennies to rub together I made a lot of my clothes. Once I started having children, I made their clothes too. I get a real kick out of seeing those photos now...gee I was quite talented! I don't sew clothes anymore but will always opt to fix something instead of sending it to a seamstress. Yesterday, in fact, I sat and repaired several throw rugs that the stitching came apart. Others would have just thrown them out but not me! I use my sewing machine a few times a year still. 

"Pure Michigan"