Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone remember the milkman & breadman

I commented earlier about the milk man but this thread reminded me of our Egg Lady and the Charles Chips guy. We got just regular Charles chips but friends got the barbecue kind and what a treat it was to go to their house!

Respected Contributor

I'm sure oldfoogey doesn't know that sheeny is a derogatory word for jew. She remembers the sheeny man, presumably garbage picker.
Contributor

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

So loved this memory...had both in Jersey and in NC. And kept that insulated box for so many years afterwards that held the tire chains that we used in the winter.

Respected Contributor

Yep...I remember the silver milk-box on the front porch stairs. I don't recall a bread-man, though. I do recall the "Charles Chips" truck. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2015 kcladyz said:

I was born in 1969 and I do remember. We had a milk box on the front porch big enough to hold a gallon and we had delivery a few times a week. I remember retrieving the milk out of the box. This was in the early/mid 1970's ish. I remember it was a metal box with red lettering. They delivered milk in the plastic gallons, no glass.

I wish we had this today. Sometimes it would be good to be able to get stuff automatically delivered.

Glad to see another 1969 baby here!Smile

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

In Minnesota we had Clover Leaf Dairy delivery. I always loved it when she let me place an order for cottage cheese, they had the Best!! Delivery stopped in the late 60"s. Darn!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Super Contributor

My mom had everything delivered. We lived in the suburbs. No wheels.

When I had my own family & home in the 60's, I had a milkman and a dry cleaning guy and a car.

Now I have the computer, postman, UPS and a car that sits in the driveway most of the time.

Super Contributor

On 2/9/2015 Justice4all said: I'm sure oldfoogey doesn't know that sheeny is a derogatory word for jew. She remembers the sheeny man, presumably garbage picker.

Sheeny Man is what he called out as he was going down the street, not the Garbage Picker Man. That is what I remember.

Super Contributor

On 2/9/2015 amyb said: Yep...I remember the silver milk-box on the front porch stairs. I don't recall a bread-man, though. I do recall the "Charles Chips" truck. Smiley Happy

I grew up in a Family of 8 (6 kids), so we had the Milk Man (who also brought Eggs and Juice), the Bread Man, and Charles Chips Man, who bought us the Tins of Chips & Thin Pretzels. Occasionally, my Dad would order the Sourdough Pretzels, and I knew it was Treat Time for us !!!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Valued Contributor

Very fond memories in Linda Vista, San Diego in the 50's. We had the milk man, the good humor ice cream man and the Helm's bakery truck. Great time and place to grow up.