Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone remember the milkman & breadman

Yes, they were glass bottles. They had long necks and the top of the bottle had a paper plug and over that was a paper cap.

Contributor

It was the early 60's, my girlfriends Dad was the breadman and we would ride along his route with him after school. Yup, the good old days, great time to be a kid.

Frequent Contributor

Ah memories!

I remember the milk man and he would also bring juice. My favorite was call the "chu chu" packs, looked like a train, with all different flavors! Very waxy cartons (like small milk cartons you get in the school lunch) is what i remember most about those.

I also remember the doctors making "house calls"!! Who could imagine that today! ( i was born in 1962)

We really have seen alot of changes in our lifetime!

Just to go back, for one day.....

Contributor

ahh, I remember it well...Joe, the milkman. He would walk in the back door and place the milk right in the refrig, tip his hat, say hello and walk back out the door. loved those days...many fond , fond memories!!

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh.... I remember the milkman leaving milk on the porch (I was about 5 or 6) and your post brought back the wonderful aromas coming from the Helm's Bakery Truck that went around the neighborhood. My Mom didn't drive so being able to buy fresh bread and on occasion the wonderful rare donut with chocolate icing was like a MAGIC DAY~! Even better than the Good Humor Man, which btw, we had an Ill Humored Man who didn't seem to like kids at all! And remember getting the ice cream with the stick that had Good Humor printed up on it and you didn't know if you won until you ate the ice cream? Winning a free ice cream was another great treat....

This was the 60's....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Loved the Good Humor man and the root beer popsicles. And the Helms Bakery truck with the drawers in the back full of doughnuts, they were the best!

Respected Contributor

I remember the milkman, ragman, knife and scissor sharpening man, the fruit and vegetable man, diaper man, fuller brush man, and, I must have been very little, the iceman, going upstairs to somebody's apartment with a big cube of ice! That milk was fresh and good! I also remember the butcher with fresh killed and plucked chicken with the egg still in. Made the most delicious chicken soup.
Super Contributor

I do remember the milkman, my Mom would leave a note as to what she wanted and it was delivered. Milk, butter, sour cream, cottage cheese. I remember about twice a year. they would have specials, like cottage cheese that would come in decorated glasses. My Mom would always get those, I still have a set. They are dark green with old fashioned figures on them. I don't remember the bread man. but then, my Mom used to make her own bread. Most women were stay at home Mom's in those days. I also remember that our house was heated with oil, and the oil man would come and pump the oil into the underground container.

Regular Contributor

yes I'm 56 and remember the milkman, and an eggman too. Also Charlie chipman. The last time we had a milkman was around 1970.

Honored Contributor

We got cottage cheese in little handled glass carafes that came in pastel colors. I think I may still have one. We also got Dugan's bread. Anyone remember Stanley Parties? All the lady relatives would get dressed to the nines, eat fancy food, play games and buy DeGreaser.