Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone remember the milkman & breadman

we had a metal container at our back door and had milk, bread, eggs, butter, and other items delivered by a local company once a week. this was during the early to mid 1970s.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We still have milk delivery in our area from a local dairy - Oberweis. They deliver ice cream, milk, eggs, butter, yogurt. We don't drink cow's milk, but all their products are very good.

They give you an insulated cooler.

Trusted Contributor

We had milkman, ragman, bread man, and even a shoe man that would come to measure our feet for shoes. Every week our insurance man would come for our weekly payments. ( I'm only 57 so it wasn't that long ago. No we weren't wealthy.) That's prob why my mother never learned to drive!
Honored Contributor

I remember a man coming every week and he would have a variety of products - clothes, shoes, housewares, towels, sheets, just about anything you could think of.

My mom had a payment book and he would come buy every week for a payment. It was really funny because once that balance would start to get close to getting paid off, he would ramp up his selections. LOL

He was a nice man.

Honored Contributor

and the coal man........oh yeah, and in Chicago, the alderman (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

So, I'll date myself!

I remember when I was little there was a metal milk box on our porch. The glass bottles of milk would be left. What is my fondest memory? I remember my sister and I "fighting" over the cap because when you took the little paper cap off, you could lick off the cream! Ah....memories!

Super Contributor

I do remember the milk and bread man. I remember the huckster too! He came by with a truck with fruits and vegetables!

Respected Contributor

yep! i do! i grew up in baltimore city and still remember the jingle "milk and butter and eggs and cheese, fresh from the farm to you...if you don't own a cow call cloverland now at north 9-2222". also the charles chips man who only had one kind of chip as well as the street arabber where we got all our produce! wow - we were little kids and always wanted to pet his pony! memories!

Frequent Contributor

This takes me back a long time. Smiley Happy

I can just barely remember the milk deliveries at home, as they stopped when I was about 3 or 4. We had a little box built into the side of the house with 2 doors - one for us to put the empties and the order list and the check in, and on for the milkman to use from the outside. My grandparents' home still had them until I was maybe 8 years old. Grandma had the insulated metal box on the porch, and left the milk money, in cash, under a cast iron frog so it wouldn't blow away. I still have that frog. He lives in my garden now.

We had the Avon and Fuller Brush reps who came by bi-weekly. We also had the Charles' chips man with the big refillable chip cans. I think he came once a month and can remember him coming until I was about 10 years old.

We do have the Schwann's truck now that delivers all kinds of goodies to the house. We usually take advantage of a few of their items when they come around.

Respected Contributor

Didn't have those in NYC, but there was a pie truck that came around once a week, and we had home delivery of cases of seltzer for making egg creams, as well as soda. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Darn....now I want a coconut custard pie, or a pineapple cheese pie... {#emotions_dlg.sad}