Trusted Contributor

Anyone know what HPS in "front body length from HPS means?

On the off chance this may make a difference in fit for a top, just wondered what HPS means. I am looking at a top that has the longer sides and not sure how this may figure in the equation. I'm only 5' 3" tall with a short torso and have to be careful about lengths.

Thanks to all of you Divas who know these things.

New Contributor

Re: Anyone know what HPS in "front body length from HPS means?

The HPS is the high point of your shoulder.  It is the seam on the shirt that is stitched from the sleeve to the collar on both sides.  I hope this helps since there a diagram might explain it better.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you!  I have always wondered too.

Honored Contributor

I would love it if there was an online diagram here or if the hosts took the time to point out where that measurement comes from instead of discussing that this item can be worn here or there or with this or that etc. etc. etc.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dbro wrote:

The HPS is the high point of your shoulder.  It is the seam on the shirt that is stitched from the sleeve to the collar on both sides.  I hope this helps since there a diagram might explain it better.

It's also professionally known as the "CBL":  center back length.

When it comes to tops and jackets, I almost-always just need that measurement since I'm 5'8" but have my height in my long torso (not my legs; boo!)

Once you know your 'magical numbers' (length in inches for all kinds of tops, jackets/cardigans, and bottoms - length and  rise), it makes shopping online, via catalogs, and in-person much easier.  

And if they're not noted in a catalog or online, you can always just contact the vendor and/or Google the manufacturer's size chart.  

Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@dbro wrote:

When it comes to tops and jackets, I almost-always just need that measurement since I'm 5'8" but have my height in my long torso (not my legs; boo!)

Once you know your 'magical numbers' (length in inches for all kinds of tops, jackets/cardigans, and bottoms - length and  rise), it makes shopping online, via catalogs, and in-person much easier.  

And if they're not noted in a catalog or online, you can always just contact the vendor and/or Google the manufacturer's size chart.  

Cat Tongue

I only hope all those who are doing the measuring are actually giving us the equivalent of the "center back length" (as those of us who sew, or used to sew, know).

Sometimes I think they measure from the point AT the shoulder instead of near the neck (which is higher - or should be).

I've begun to look at the photos and, if I need a top to be the length I want, I'll check to make sure the sleeve length (provided it's a long sleeve) is the same or shorter than the length of the garment.  I know the garment body is long enough for me if it's longer than the (long) sleeve.  (This is what I like; I'm not saying this is what everyone needs or wants.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@dbro wrote:

Cat Tongue

I only hope all those who are doing the measuring are actually giving us the equivalent of the "center back length" (as those of us who sew, or used to sew, know).

Sometimes I think they measure from the point AT the shoulder instead of near the neck (which is higher - or should be).

I've begun to look at the photos and, if I need a top to be the length I want, I'll check to make sure the sleeve length (provided it's a long sleeve) is the same or shorter than the length of the garment.  I know the garment body is long enough for me if it's longer than the (long) sleeve.  (This is what I like; I'm not saying this is what everyone needs or wants.)

I also would appreciate if manufacturers gave us the measurement from the highest point for tops/jackets:  the neck.

When it's not noted on Ebay or wherever, I just ask for the number of inches from "the top of the item to the bottom - a.k.a. the center back length".

That way, the vendor can also learn something new, and perhaps include it in future listings to help their customers.

Listing that number - along with the chest measurement - has been getting increasingly important over the years, especially with the obesity epidemic (adults and  kids).

It also helps the business, since therre's less returns/exchanges and more overall customer satisfaction.

Honored Contributor

@LogoFan

image.jpg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Talking about measurements IN GENERAL, and not necessarily QVC:  Wondering why there isn't a Tummy measurement for pants that have a waistband way below the belly button.  In other words, measuring our waistline, which is often smaller than our Tummy measurements, how would we know if the dropped waistline pants would fit over our tummies?  Shouldn't there be a 'Tummy' measurement listed?  Again, in general, because most QVC pants aren't low-dropped waistlines.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).