Valued Contributor

Anyone have problems with gel manicures?

I’ve been getting gel manicures for a few months now and, the past few manicures I’ve had trouble with the nails splitting/breaking on the ends needing me to eventually cutting them after trying filing & topcoat, etc.
My manicurist says it’s my fault, that I’m in water too much or too rough with my hands. I’m a disabled retired R.N. and the most I do is wash my hand routinely through the day & after taking care of my infant & toddler grandchildren. And the worst thing I do with my hands is either cooking a couple times a week or opening Amazon packages carefully.
I k ow many women in my town that go to the same salon (different manicures) with no problems at all. I’m perplexed & feeling like stopping the gels or switching to another manicurist.
Has anyone out there had similar problems and if so, what worked for you to resolve the issues. PMEASE answer & give me some support. None of my friends or family really seem to care. :-(
Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have problems with gel manicures?

Hi @Gemspirit !  How long does your gel manicure last before you have this problem?  I keep mine for 2-3 weeks and haven't had a problem with mine.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

My experience with gel polish manicures: my nails are good when I replace the gel polish with a fresh gel mani. As soon as I go back to regular polish, there go my nails. The gel polish makes the nails seem strong, but they are really getting thinner. I had two gel manis in a row recently. My nails became thin and split after removing the polish . Back to regular polish for me.

Respected Contributor

The cold weather is really bothering my nails. I use my right hand more and the tips come off. Started back with gels in July. My natural nails are also bad in the winter.I am not sure if I will take a break from gels yet or not? Vitamins for Hair Skin and Nails has helped. Have you tried those?

I had more trouble with water and Acrylics as they were getting black underneath from I am sure washing hands a lot.  Had to stop those.It is frustrating. My nails have a nice shape but have never been strong. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks ladies. It’s only a couple of days before problems start. I take collagen in all it’s forms & biotin as well as other vitamins & eat mostly protein.
I’m just frustrated. I don’t mind going every two
weeks but not if i am losing nails nearly more than regular polish. I like keeping them looking professional as I don’t work anymore ( disabled RN) but volunteer at my church several times weekly as well as my grandchildren whenever I’m feeling up to it.
It’s expensive to have these problems when I’m so careful with my nails throughout the week.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gemspirit   I had gel nails years ago. When I went to Europe on a tour one was needing repair. As soon as I returned I called my manicurist and she was on vacation. 
 Finally I had them soaked in Acetone. After removal they were so thin it took months of creams and finally finding Sally Hanson products that don't have the bad stuff in them. I would have had an infection if I didn't remove them. 
   They have ridges now and tend to split so I keep them short.  I'll never have artificial nails again. 

The prettiest nails I've noticed lately were on a technician who drew blood. We were talking about artificial nails and how bacteria gets under them. When she removed her gloves she showed me hers and said that short is best for gloves. They were smooth and manicured and short.  

Respected Contributor

Hi, @Gemspirit.  It sounds like your nails could use a rest for a couple of months from gels/polishes in order to get stronger and healthier.  I'd keep them trimmed and buffed (with a soft, chamois-like buffer).  And how about treating yourself to a nice hand cream with some of the $ you'll be saving?  With all the childcare you do, you deserve it!

Contributor

Isn't that nice when someone you are paying for a service tells you it is your fault when the service is poor- lol-smh!

Gemspirit I too have had gel nails and enjoyed the convenience of great looking nails for a couple weeks.  However,  I reconsidered when the gel was off and I saw the serious damage done to my real nails.  (And this product is presented as "better for your nails" in many salons.)  I do know that if you have gel on and use too much hand cream or nail oil it will start to peel off quicky.  Other then that I am in agreement with the poster who said clean short natural nails look best.  My tip  would be to use nail oil daily all over your nail and cuticles along with great handcreme.  It always makes my nails look better.  Good Luck!!  

Trusted Contributor

Hmm.  After reading the responses I am rethinking keeping up with my gel nails.  

@Gemspirit My manicurist guarantees gel nails for two weeks.  If there are any chips or other problems she will fix them for free.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I had gel nails for quite q few years as a teacher.  She used the powder method which worked best on me.  I had no problems at all.